Firewall blocking internet and email. RRS feed

• Question

• 14 months ago I installed OneCare to discover that it would not work with my internet provider (specifically Bigpond Wireless Broadband Australia). It allows me to connect, but facilitates use of an inappropriate IP address which ultimately blocks not only internet, but also email. At the time, I contacted support who immediately understood the problem and showed me quite a complecated work around to solve the problem.

I week ago, my MS Outlook crashed and I used system restore to solve the problem. This restored outlook but seems to have negated my work around. When I called my ISP they identified that using OneCare with Vista, and the Wireless broadband modem was a well known problem, and directed me to contact OneCare support.

I spent over an hour on the phone today with a tech who wasn't at all familiar with the problem and insisted on trying all the standard solutions (despite me trying to explain that this is a well known problem, and would require a fairly complex work around). Finally, he remotely set another port for my internet/email connection but then got off the phone before I had a chance to check it. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem.

So, I am wondering if anybody has any idea about the specific work around, or at least where I can find it........who I can speak to that can fix it. The original guy just immediately knew what I was talking about, and went to work....was I just lucky to get him first up??????

Looking forward to a solution. Currently, any more hour long phone calls (to god knows where) are probably going to end up costing more than a subscription to another brand of security soft ware. I am only sorry this has happened when I have just renewed my subscription to onecare, otherwise I would consider it easier just to swap brands.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:52 AM

Answers

• tocap,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

You may want to call support again and ask for the agent who assisted you the first time.

Or you can check out this website, where it looks like there are some instructions for what you are trying to accomplish

with your ISP provider.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/701867.html

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:03 PM