Windows 2003 Server not available through remote desktop proxy? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a question about Windows Home Server, not W2k3. Please read my post before locking this thread.

One of my computers refuses to show up as "Available for connection" in the Remote Access tab of Windows Home Server Web Site. All I get is "Connection disabled", but I know that it's working and accepting remote connections. Am I missing something?

Is there a limitation in WHS that won't let it connect to Windows 2003 server? The rest of my computers are working perfectly; those equipped with WinXP Pro and Vista Ultimate.

This message is shareware - Please register!
    Monday, March 16, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers

• Strip said:

This is a question about Windows Home Server, not W2k3. Please read my post before locking this thread.

One of my computers refuses to show up as "Available for connection" in the Remote Access tab of Windows Home Server Web Site. All I get is "Connection disabled", but I know that it's working and accepting remote connections. Am I missing something?

Is there a limitation in WHS that won't let it connect to Windows 2003 server? The rest of my computers are working perfectly; those equipped with WinXP Pro and Vista Ultimate.

Hi,

If the firewall service is not running on the Windows Server 2003 machine, this will happen.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=381708

As Olaf pointed out, Windows Server 2003 is not a supported OS for Windows Home Server but this should work provided the firewall service is running.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    not sure about the proper answer, since Windows Server 2003 is not a supported OS.
    A workaround would be, to forward port 3389 to that server in the router and use the Remote Desktop client on the client for accessing the server directly.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, March 16, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Strip said:

This is a question about Windows Home Server, not W2k3. Please read my post before locking this thread.

Hi,

If the firewall service is not running on the Windows Server 2003 machine, this will happen.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=381708

As Olaf pointed out, Windows Server 2003 is not a supported OS for Windows Home Server but this should work provided the firewall service is running.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:08 PM