Shared Folders Graph RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else noticed the Storage usage graph in the "shared folders" ?

It just appeared in mine this morning. Must required a week or more installed time....

Anyway, just another to look at storage usage.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:11 PM

Answers

• The shared folders history graph require at least a week's data to be meaningful, so it won't appear for 7 days after install. For RTM, the location of the graph would move to share -> right click : View History..
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:47 PM

All replies

• The shared folders history graph require at least a week's data to be meaningful, so it won't appear for 7 days after install. For RTM, the location of the graph would move to share -> right click : View History..
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:47 PM
  • It's just that I don't remember reading about in the doc's or online and I was just a bit surprised. Are there any other undocumented features?

tks

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Nope :)
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:14 PM
  • Nice chatting....

tks
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:38 PM
  • I love how the graph shows by folder what is taking up the room.  Wish there was a listing by User or a filter by file type.  So if you all of sudden see a ton of .mp3 or .avi's taking up space, you can investigate.  My user folder is a 177 Gigs but the biggest on on the graphic is my Video folder at 3 Gigs.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:26 PM
  • What I think is cool is that between this and the pie chart in the drives display Microsoft has given us a capacity planning tool. If I've got a terabyte of storage on my WHS, with 750 GB filled and content flowing in at a rate of 50GB a month, I know that I need to go and buy a new 500 GB drive in a couple of months. I can plan for the purchase, instead of realizing that I'm going to run out of storage next week and rushing out to buy less storage than I really need.

I'd like it better if the pie chart were a line graph like the one on the shares tab, showing storage use with time. I'd like it so much I've just suggested it on Connect.

In any case, yay Microsoft for this one!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Hi Ken

Ya beat me to it. I'll add my 2 cents to the suggestion....
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Question: How do I hide the usage graph?

If there is no way to minimize then I guess I would like to suggest that there be a way to minimize it. The way the UI of the console is it leaves little room to view all the folders... maybe that is another request different views of folders? List, Details, Icon...

*Main point of this being: There needs to be a way to minimize, hide, enable/disable file usage graph.

update: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=262544
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:50 PM
  • However, unless I've missed something, the graph only seems to show the standard default folders, and not any additional shares you might have created.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:55 PM
  • For RTM, the graph will be moving to an inner dialog (Select share -> Right Click -> View Used Space History), thus unblocking the main folder List view.

Also, the user created share's graph will be shown once you select it from the list. The combined graph which shows all the folders does not list the user created shares now due to lack of space (and to avoid clutterring of graph to a point where it is unreadable). For RTM, when the graph moves to an inner dialog, there is more space, and all the folders' history can be shown.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Excellent! Thanks for the update.  I look forward to RTM.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:24 PM