none
C#, SQL Server and MPI

Question

• Hi,

I was creating an parallel application using MPI in the C# language. I am using the C# MPI bindings available from MPI.NET developed at Indiana university. Basically I'm writing some managed code that will be deployed on SQL server 2005. How this is done is by using the CREATE Assembly command of SQL server and providing a dll file. So the problem is that since the mpi tasks are to be deployed on SQL Server I cannot use the console in anyway ( so mpirun or exec cannot be used in the traditional way nor can i run a script ). Is it possible to deploy MPI tasks using C code itself which I can embed in my classes and thus the dll?.

I just found a way to do it... but its almost a hack and would still like to know what else I can do.

I currently create a .exe file of my mpi code. Then I can create another class that calls this code using the System.Diagnostics.Process class. The Process class basically allows you to spawn other processes like notepad or anything else using "cmd.exe". This class is compiled into a DLL which is then entered as the managed code in SQL server. The problem is that I would now have to hardcode the location of the .exe in the dll classes. This is all very dirty. Isnt there another seamless way?

Thanks in advance,

Abhimanyu Aditya.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hopefully your issue has been resolved since it was posted so long ago. If you are still encountering the problem please start a new thread on the forum. We weren't that great at managing our forum in the past, I apologize for that, but we've made serious improvements in handling it and will get to all the new posts now.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:52 PM