Caller-ID add-in RRS feed

• General discussion

• Why isnt something like this available?

I see that there is something like this for Vista, but why not have one that actually runs ON, and uses a modem in, WHS.

My WHS is in a data closet right next to my structured wiring system. It would be great just to plug the modem into my telephone hub and be able to see Caller-ID on the screen of any computer in the house.
    I dont have any Vista boxes yet in my home, but when I eventually do I'm sure it will be on a laptop.

A voicemail/answering system would be really cool too.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

• In a word, demand. There's probably very little demand for a caller ID add-in for Windows Home Server, and in addition, the notification system built into the Windows Home Server connector has far too much lag (up to a couple of minutes in some cases) for a caller ID prompt to be really useful.

However, if you feel strongly, you should probably make a suggestion on Connect. Search for similar ones and vote first; Microsoft is using Connect as a source for potential product enhancements, and more votes will help a suggestion rise up in the pile. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 2:59 PM
  • One other thing you might consider beyond making a suggestion on Connect (which is almost always the first best spot to start), would be to contact the maker of whatever Caller-ID software you are using and encourage them to support Windows Home Server.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 8:45 PM
  • I just read about this topic here: Caller ID
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:14 PM
  •  
    Indeed we have some currently crude (prototype) but nevertheless exciting telecommunications code in the works based on www.vistacallerid.com to directly have it on the WHS providing one has a POTS/56K modem or VoIP adapter etc, and we are tinkering with voicemail type functionality, WHS notification system and or own faster TCP based notification system that we use for the media center add-in to distribute that info across the network.

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for in terms of the voicemail/answering system?
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Sounds great Alexander,
    When something like this becomes available I would certainly be interested!
    Please keep us posted?
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  
    Hi Theo,

Thank you for your interest; we will be releasing another add-in this weekend :) but rest assured are definitely working on the telecommunications side as well. Will keep you posted.

Friday, September 26, 2008 5:58 PM