none
Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied RRS feed

• Question

• I run syntoy from the desktop and I get the following error on various files.  some files dirs copy ok, some partial and some nothing gets copied.  I can copy youing the explorer.  The destination is  an HP Media vault netowrk drive.  Using syntoy 2.0 on winXP.  The errors occurred when the destination did not exist.

Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying C:\users\media\movies\viper\VIPER232.MPG to \\remote\Videos\laura2\viper\VIPER232.MPG

SyncToy action was 'Echo'.
    SyncToy options were:
     Active for run all
     All files included
     No files excluded
     Do not check file contents
     Include read-only files
     Include hidden files
     Include system files
     Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)
     All subfolders included
    SyncToy run took 00:00:03:828.
    Copied 38,956,726 bytes in 10 files in 00:00:03:828.
    Bytes per second 10,176,450.9, files per second 2.6.
    Avoided copying 113,671,710,040 bytes in 284 files that did not require action.
    Saved approximately 03:06:10:74 by not copying all files.
    Warning: 10 failures occured.

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:35 AM

Answers

• I've be fighting with synctoy all afternoon and got a lot of access denied errors when echoing to a remote file share. I had NTFS permissions to read all of the files and it had me stumped. Then I found that all of the problem files had the read only attribute set - presumably when echoing a read only file the attributes are set before the file copy takes places, resulting in the denial of access.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:22 PM

All replies

•  

more info.....

even though RO files are not excluded, it excludes read only files from the source when using a UNC.  I turned off the RO attrib on the source and it copied over.  On a USB drive, I did not see a problem

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:49 AM
  • I've be fighting with synctoy all afternoon and got a lot of access denied errors when echoing to a remote file share. I had NTFS permissions to read all of the files and it had me stumped. Then I found that all of the problem files had the read only attribute set - presumably when echoing a read only file the attributes are set before the file copy takes places, resulting in the denial of access.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi Mark -

Thanks for reporting this issue - we will look into this further. It should work even if the read-only attribute is set.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:07 AM
  • No worries Deepa - I think it was Gary who first raised this!

For reference, my source system was a Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition box and the target was a CIFS/SMB share mapped as a drive using alternative user credentials (via IP address - i.e. net use drive: \\ipaddress\share /user:username password)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:29 AM
  • i've had to turn off all RO flags to get everything backed up.  on the positiive side, it prompted me to wrtite my own replication app

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:07 AM
  • FWIW, I have also run into this exact same problem when using SyncToy to backup to a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo).  As other people discovered, removing the read-only flag from the affected files fixed the problem for me.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is relevant (it could be the same with any Linux box acting as the server) but I was using a ReadyNAS Duo too when I had this problem...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:02 PM
  • I also have the problem with trying to echo read-only files to a NAS gives me a permision error.
    Did the SyncToy team fixed this?
    Can someone who fixed this post the solution? I would like to not remove the file attribute from the files...

Thanks.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:37 AM
  • I am also having this issue on my Vista operating system.

I believe it has to do with "User Account Control" UAC, because everything works just fine when I disable UAC.

However, I want to continue to have UAC enabled, but I also want to be able to use SyncToy at the same time..

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Is anybody have solution for this issue? I see the posting is too old.. but assuming Some one from Microsoft will response to this.?
    Thanks, Ganesan.J
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:39 AM