Has the 1105 patch gone already? RRS feed

• Question

• I've had the misfortune to have the laptop crash before creating a backup CD. I've reinstalled Money 2005 (UK Version) but it steadfastly refuses to download the 1105 patch.

Have Microsoft turned it off already?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

• It seems that the patch is still there, just that the PCs chez Mike were rather reluctant to download for some reason best known to themselves.

The need to make the backup cd is strongly reinforced though.

• Marked as answer by Mike Grayson Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

1. Connect to the net.
    2. Right click on the launch shortcut and select Run as administrator.
    3. Navigate to and open the Sample.mny file.

Then check the Money version.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to look Dominic

For some reason Money can't be persuaded to open "as administrator" but it has been opened from a "clean" admin level account. The administrator bit is probably because I can't remember the proper admin password.

The version is 14.0.100.805

Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:21 PM
  • What OS does your computer use?
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Thanks both of you. I'll have another play tomorrow

The OS is XP SP3

• Marked as answer by Mike Grayson Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Grayson Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:15 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:44 PM
  • It seems that the patch is still there, just that the PCs chez Mike were rather reluctant to download for some reason best known to themselves.

• Marked as answer by Mike Grayson Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:17 AM

Correct. The day will come when your temporary circumstance is permanent for all. I'd bet it comes sooner rather than later.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:05 PM
  • The current answer to the question of this topic is "yes, it's gone".

If you're a Money 2005 user and haven't backed up your installed Money 2005 software then do so immediately - since you have no other way of getting the vital 1105 patch to fix up your MS Money installation disk.

If your computer has crashed and you haven't made a backup of your installed MS Money 2005 then you've got no way to re-install a working copy of Money 2005 ... and like me you have been royally shafted by Microsoft since you'll now have no way of reading your carefully archived Money data.

Sunday, June 5, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi

I have two laptops, both have MS Money 2005(I use one of them as a backup for money)

One of them crashed last week and I lost everything including MS Money 2005

I just spent all day trying to install and update to version 1105 before reading this post.. :-(

At least I have one version of Money working, so I consider myself lucky for now.

If you find a solution or even an alternative software where it might be possible for me to import and utilise the data I have kept in money for 3 years  please let me know >> MSN - trancemick@hotmail.co.uk

Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Simply make the aforementioned patch CD using your good computer EL PRONTO.   Then you can test it out on your other PC.
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Hi

I have two laptops, both have MS Money 2005(I use one of them as a backup for money)

One of them crashed last week and I lost everything including MS Money 2005

I just spent all day trying to install and update to version 1105 before reading this post.. :-(

At least I have one version of Money working, so I consider myself lucky for now.

If you find a solution or even an alternative software where it might be possible for me to import and utilise the data I have kept in money for 3 years  please let me know >> MSN - trancemick@hotmail.co.uk

On the computer where Money does not work for you, try renaming the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder (a normally hidden folder) to MNYCoreFiles.old.

Copy the entire "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder from the computer where things work to the problem computer. A USB flash drive would be a good as a way to carry the folder from one computer to another.  Reboot Windows on the problem computer. Start Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator. If that works, good.

In any case, you should make an install disk from a working installation from a working install. If you only have one working installation at this point, use that computer. You will find many references to how to do that on this forum.

Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Previous reply stated,

"On the computer where Money works for you, try renaming the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder (a normally hidden folder) to MNYCoreFiles.old."

I think that should read "On the computer where Money does not work" surely ? You don't want to rename the MNYCoreFiles folder on your working machine, you need to copy that folder from the working machine to the currently failing one.

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Thanks. Edit applied.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I have 14 years' worth of financial data on MS Money and, not having heard anything about it going offline, I recently reinstalled Money 2005 on my computer. I now can't access any of my files. I have read all the forums about retrieving the MNYCoreFiles but I don't think this will apply to me because surely they will have been removed when I reinstalled? Can anyone help me with this please? If I no longer have the 1105 patch on my laptop, can I not just ask someone who has the patch files to email them to me and I can reinstall them? Or I am I being niaive?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Joanne

Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:04 AM
  • I suggest you read the "Money 2005 and 1105 Patch" thread, and look for the more recent post by dwdowns. I don't know the source of the info, but it sounds very good.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Unfortunately, I think dwdowns post applies only to the UK and International versions. If joannelovesbooks has the US version, it won't help.  On the other hand perhaps she should wait until we see what MS will actually do before panicking.  Perhaps they will restore the patches for all versions.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Unfortunately, I think dwdowns post applies only to the UK and International versions. If joannelovesbooks has the US version, it won't help.  On the other hand perhaps she should wait until we see what MS will actually do before panicking.  Perhaps they will restore the patches for all versions.
    Anybody needing to reinstall US Money 2005 would be able to use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. I presume that all of the Money 2005 users reporting problems on this thread are UK or International version users.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Sorry.  I wasn't thinking straight.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 12:41 AM