file sharing AND printer sharing question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Been using WLOC for 2yrs or so...no issues...so i got the update of WLOC today and had a weird issue.  I have several computers on my network...2 are in the onecare circle.  The problem is with the 2 in the circle.  From my XP machine (connected wirelessly)  in the circle i can see my vista machine and share the printer and files.  However, from the Vista machine (ethernet connection) I cannot see the XP machine or share files or printer.  I have all the sharing checked and on!!! (you know.. file and printer sharing-for local network (subnet)).... so for a lark on the XP machine (the one i cannot see from the Vista machine) i checked the "file and printer sharing-for subnet and internet" box  and BINGO,.. now i can see it and share files and printer from the vista machine.  BUT i am not sure if that is secure and in any case why won't this work as designed???

as an aside... i can see the other (non WLOC) XP machines on the network just fine....so is this an issue with WLOC and is it secure??

a little long-winded...but thats the story!!

thanks in advance for the help

BCY1

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:23 AM

Answers

• As long as your PCs aren't connecting to unsecure networks, your settings are fine. Some routers set the wireless side to a different subnet than the wired side. One other thing to verify on 2.0 - are both PCs identified as being on a private network?

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:54 AM

All replies

• As long as your PCs aren't connecting to unsecure networks, your settings are fine. Some routers set the wireless side to a different subnet than the wired side. One other thing to verify on 2.0 - are both PCs identified as being on a private network?

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Ok

i assume you mean have all PCs set to home??? rather than Public??? that is done...(should i unclick the box that says "Automatically suspend all home and work locations......."??)

I talked to tech support about this  and they say this is a problem and will be resolved...but i do not understand why it is OK to leave one PC open to the internet...and not constrain file and printer sharing to only the subnet??

thanks

BCY1

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:02 AM
  • File and Printer sharing is not open to the Internet if you are behind a router. However, if you take that PC to a public Hotspot, then you need to manually lock down the File and Printer Sharing setting in the firewall exclusions or set the firewall to restricted - Public.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:04 AM