WHS System (Pie Chart in Console) Keeps Growing Up to 288 GB RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server which is up to date on patches and running PP2 seems to keep growing in System Size.  The pie chart in the console shows the breakdown of the disk usage which is now up to 288GB....less than a week ago this was 277GB so it continues to grow.  Any ideas?  The machine is an OEM built one, 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 E6400, 6.82 TB of space....
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:37 PM

Answers

• "System" is a catch-all; it's everything that's not part of one of the other wedges.

Are you by any chance using any disk space on D: that's outside of the folders Windows Home Server uses? That's the most common reason for the "System" wedge to grow like that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• "System" is a catch-all; it's everything that's not part of one of the other wedges.

Are you by any chance using any disk space on D: that's outside of the folders Windows Home Server uses? That's the most common reason for the "System" wedge to grow like that.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Good to know that System is the catch-all.  Ever since the beta of WHS I have always been very careful not to "touch" any of the folders on the D: drive.  Always stay with the Shared Folders to view what is going on.  I did look in that D: drive through Explorer and the folders that are present include:
    D:\DE
       This contains a subfolder called folders.  Within in that folder there are two folders that are: {378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276} and {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} the total is 4 GB.  The file is Data.4096.0.dat which is 4GB.

D:\folders
        D:\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} which contains many files that total 7.82 GB.  Data.4096.0.dat and Data.4096.1.dat which are 4 GB and 1.5 GB.  GlobalCluster.4096.dat is 1.25B.  The other files all contain various names that are the same as the machine names in my house.  Seems like they are backup files of some kind.

D:\MyMovies  This is from the plug in from Brian Binnerup My Movies.  I have version 1.5 PR3 on my WHS and did the default install.  But this folder has a subfolder called Covers which is 26 GB.  I have no idea what/why this is here.  Even with show hidden files and show system files I do not see any large files in the directory just a bunch (414,920) jpeg files.

So I am not sure why this continues to grow even when I am not using the server but it is.  Just worried that if it keeps growing eventually I will run out of room.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Good to know that System is the catch-all.  Ever since the beta of WHS I have always been very careful not to "touch" any of the folders on the D: drive.  Always stay with the Shared Folders to view what is going on.  I did look in that D: drive through Explorer and the folders that are present include:
    D:\DE
       This contains a subfolder called folders.  Within in that folder there are two folders that are: {378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276} and {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} the total is 4 GB.  The file is Data.4096.0.dat which is 4GB.

D:\folders
        D:\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} which contains many files that total 7.82 GB.  Data.4096.0.dat and Data.4096.1.dat which are 4 GB and 1.5 GB.  GlobalCluster.4096.dat is 1.25B.  The other files all contain various names that are the same as the machine names in my house.  Seems like they are backup files of some kind.

D:\MyMovies  This is from the plug in from Brian Binnerup My Movies.  I have version 1.5 PR3 on my WHS and did the default install.  But this folder has a subfolder called Covers which is 26 GB.  I have no idea what/why this is here.  Even with show hidden files and show system files I do not see any large files in the directory just a bunch (414,920) jpeg files.

So I am not sure why this continues to grow even when I am not using the server but it is.  Just worried that if it keeps growing eventually I will run out of room.

It's probably due to Shadow Copies.  Right click on the D partition and select Properties, then select the Shadow Copies tab.  Add up the numbers under Used and see if it's close to 268 GB.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Just gave that a shot and it looks like Shadow Copy is off on all drives.  Wondering of the files that are in D:\Folders or D:\DE can be deleted?
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:34 PM
  • ...  Wondering of the files that are in D:\Folders or D:\DE can be deleted?
    No.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Just gave that a shot and it looks like Shadow Copy is off on all drives.  Wondering of the files that are in D:\Folders or D:\DE can be deleted?
    Just because it says disabled there doesn't mean it's not running.  Do you have a pre-built server (i.e. HP MSS) or one you built yourself?  Were there any numbers under the Used column for any of the drives shown?  Do you have any applications installed on your server to download files (i.e. uTorrent)?
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:55 PM
  • I built it myself.  I have an OEM version of WHS.  I have the latest updates installed from Microsoft.  THere are 6 drives in my system (3 1.5TB, 3 1 TB drives), 2B RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo System.  I looked and there are no other numbers under the Used column.  The only things I have installed are:
    Grid Junction
    My Movies
    Remote Alert
    Windows Home Server Disk Management
    Windows Home Server Tool-Kit
    ASoft Auto Exit
    I do not have uTorrent on the server.  Thank you for the great ideas so far....let me know if there are logs or anything I could provide that may provide answers.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I built it myself.  I have an OEM version of WHS.  I have the latest updates installed from Microsoft.  THere are 6 drives in my system (3 1.5TB, 3 1 TB drives), 2B RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo System.  I looked and there are no other numbers under the Used column.  The only things I have installed are:
    Grid Junction
    My Movies
    Remote Alert
    Windows Home Server Disk Management
    Windows Home Server Tool-Kit
    ASoft Auto Exit
    I do not have uTorrent on the server.  Thank you for the great ideas so far....let me know if there are logs or anything I could provide that may provide answers.

What folders do you have on the D partition?  (Just the folders that are there, don't worry about subfolders.)  Also, can you check the Properties of each folder and see how much space is being used by each one?
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Here is what is on the D Drive
    D:\DE (654 GB)

D:\MyMovies ( 26 GB)

D:\e788bd93ab0127edad089e2607d01c60 (6.09 MB)

D:\folders (7.82 GB)

D:\Recycler (56.6MB)

D:\shares (2.45 TB)

D:\Systems Volume Information (empty)

Hope that helps!

Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Here is what is on the D Drive
    D:\DE (654 GB)

D:\MyMovies ( 26 GB)

D:\e788bd93ab0127edad089e2607d01c60 (6.09 MB)

D:\folders (7.82 GB)

D:\Recycler (56.6MB)

D:\shares (2.45 TB)

D:\Systems Volume Information (empty)

Hope that helps!

Well, MyMovies seems pretty high (I also use that add-in and mine is only 42 MB).  It could also be in the System Volume Information (it shows empty because you don't have permissions to read it).  But the rest seem normal enough.  When you copy data to the server, do you always use \\[servername]\[sharename]?  If so, I think you might need to consider a Server Reinstallation.  (The other option would be to check if there are any extra files on the secondary drives.  You can find those inside C:\fs.  Just don't change anything while you're there.)
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Don't know if this matters or not, but the My Movies database that I have has about 330 movies in it, which may be part of its size.  I do setup shares on all my systems in the house with drives that are mapped using the \\servername\sharename (e.g., \\SERVER\MUSIC) Is that a problem creating mapped drives on other machines? 

The System Volume Information Folder is really same (after adding permissions) is only 20kb. 

Question about the server reinstall...I have most everything backed up on other drives.  Is it best to wipe everything and install from scratch?  Which I would assume would be the best answer, although not my favorite ;-)   If so, when I bring everything back to the server is it ok to map the network drive and copy the data to their respective folders? 

Again, that you so much for your responses, I know this is a needle in a haystack.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Don't know if this matters or not, but the My Movies database that I have has about 330 movies in it, which may be part of its size.  I do setup shares on all my systems in the house with drives that are mapped using the \\servername\sharename (e.g., \\SERVER\MUSIC) Is that a problem creating mapped drives on other machines?

No. 

The System Volume Information Folder is really same (after adding permissions) is only 20kb. 

Question about the server reinstall...I have most everything backed up on other drives.  Is it best to wipe everything and install from scratch?

Server Reinstallation is a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data in tact.  In effect, you are still doing a fresh install of the OS, but without the hassle of moving your data around before and after.

Which I would assume would be the best answer, although not my favorite ;-)   If so, when I bring everything back to the server is it ok to map the network drive and copy the data to their respective folders? 

Again, that you so much for your responses, I know this is a needle in a haystack.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Very odd...my System size is down to 55 GB.  I am not sure what happened or changed but it dropped by 230GB
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Very odd...my System size is down to 55 GB.  I am not sure what happened or changed but it dropped by 230GB

Had you just moved a lot of files before you checked?  I've seen it happen once or twice where the SYSTEM temporarily includes files that have been added, then it clears itself up (I'm guessing after the next DE pass).  In any event, it sounds like you're with 10 GB of where you should be now (based on what you said before, it should be 46 GB right now).
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:11 PM

Had you just moved a lot of files before you checked?  I've seen it happen once or twice where the SYSTEM temporarily includes files that have been added, then it clears itself up (I'm guessing after the next DE pass).  In any event, it sounds like you're with 10 GB of where you should be now (based on what you said before, it should be 46 GB right now).
    No.  Sounds like what you described is what is going on though.  I will keep an eye on it.  Thanks for all your help!
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:51 PM