Can't activate firewall in Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Live OneCare on my three home computers.  Recently, the Live OneCare firewall is turned off, not by me.  I start OneCare and attempt to activate the OnceCare firewall, but the OneCare software stops working and goes into a non-response condition.  The PC is a new HP with Vista Home Premium OS.  I tried to un-install OneCare, and re-install.  At first, the OneCare would not completly un install.  Now it will not re-install successfully.  I am stuck. 

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since troubleshooting the firewall issue is currently a moot point, I would recommend running the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Then try to reinstall OneCare. What errors are you encountering when you attempt to reinstall?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:27 AM
  • I have also found problems with my firewall in Live OneCare. Since this morning my computer has been at risk and although I have downloaded, saved and ran the program specified in the help section this still has not fixed the problem

I have tried enabling firewall via my security centre and the response I get is that it is being controlled by group settings that I am unable to over-ride. Please help!!!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I'm detecting a trend here.  Since OneCare updated itself this morning, my Firewall won't stay on, either.

I went through the process of un, the re-installing MSXML 4.0.  No luck.

If I use the tool link mentioned above, will the on-line install detect that I have 6 months left, and, will it fix the fire-wall issue?

Would it then be best to NOT do updates until this is resolved?

Odd that it starts OK, with Onecare being green.  Then, after 5 minutes or so, the Firewall turns itself off.

Maybe we should wait this out for Microsoft to fix it?

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Have you run this tool? http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If that does not fix it, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Note that the Windows firewall is disabled by OneCare by design, since you don't want two firewalls running.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:25 PM
  •  Ray1inJT wrote:

I'm detecting a trend here.  Since OneCare updated itself this morning, my Firewall won't stay on, either.

I went through the process of un, the re-installing MSXML 4.0.  No luck.

If I use the tool link mentioned above, will the on-line install detect that I have 6 months left, and, will it fix the fire-wall issue?

Would it then be best to NOT do updates until this is resolved?

Odd that it starts OK, with Onecare being green.  Then, after 5 minutes or so, the Firewall turns itself off.

Maybe we should wait this out for Microsoft to fix it?

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Hello, Ray.

My previous reply was for Hayley Stone, but applies to you, too. Don't use the cleanup tool at the top of this discussion - yet - as that would mean reinstalling, which you may not need to do. I would contact support if the tool doesn't fix the problem as you really don't want to run without a firewall for too long. If you are behind a router, your risk in minimal, but if the problem can be resolved by support...

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  

No luck.  I ran the Firewall repair tool, re-started, but within minutes I went from Green to RED; and the firewall turned itself off.  When I open the control center, and click to reactivate the Firewall, the program stops responding.

Will Microsoft be able to find my registration?  I used Onecare when I first went to Vista with a 90 free trial; then registered on-line.

And, if I do try and start over, do you think it is OneCare?  I hate to go back to Norton, but, I’d rather deal with them then to be without a Firewall.

Ray

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:40 PM
  • I agree Ray,

I downloaded the 'firewall repair tool' and went to green status. After switching my PC off when I returned and it restarted I was automatically updated again and the fault returned (vicious circle or what !)

The last time anything like this happened I contacted phone support and guess what they said..."Please Re-install". I ignored them amd when I returned to my PC the next day the problem had magically resolved itself.

Best thing to do......as Ray suggests....sit tight

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:45 PM
  •  Ray1inJT wrote:

No luck.  I ran the Firewall repair tool, re-started, but within minutes I went from Green to RED; and the firewall turned itself off.  When I open the control center, and click to reactivate the Firewall, the program stops responding.

Will Microsoft be able to find my registration?  I used Onecare when I first went to Vista with a 90 free trial; then registered on-line.

And, if I do try and start over, do you think it is OneCare?  I hate to go back to Norton, but, I’d rather deal with them then to be without a Firewall.

Ray

Before you uninstall, should you choose that route, open OneCare and go to Help/About to confirm your subcription ID. Use that LiveID to log in at http://billing.microsoft.com

If it shows your subscription as active, a reinstall can be activated with that LiveID.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:06 PM