Server Storage >2TB reports free space incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    Sorry if this topic has been covered, I did several searches of these forums, and all I found were several topics on support of GPT and RAID but that is not my issue.

I have a few drives (all 2TB or smaller in size) but in total, they come out to 3.64TB.
    I've added each of these to "server storage" and it shows me that I currently have 3.18TB of 3.64TB free.

The problem I'm having is if I "map" a drive from my VISTA desktop to the homeserver's shares, it will show me "3.18TB free of 1.97TB"
    Although this is just visual error, it's annoying because the free space bar in VISTA is showing full and RED where clearly I have tons of free space available on this share.

The ability to MAP a drive to a windows share and have it report correctly seems like a pretty fundamental task for any NAS device, and I would hope that WHS could do it properly.

Please advise.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:22 PM

Answers

• Hi.
    Sorry if this topic has been covered, I did several searches of these forums, and all I found were several topics on support of GPT and RAID but that is not my issue.

I have a few drives (all 2TB or smaller in size) but in total, they come out to 3.64TB.
    I've added each of these to "server storage" and it shows me that I currently have 3.18TB of 3.64TB free.

The problem I'm having is if I "map" a drive from my VISTA desktop to the homeserver's shares, it will show me "3.18TB free of 1.97TB"
    Although this is just visual error, it's annoying because the free space bar in VISTA is showing full and RED where clearly I have tons of free space available on this share.

The ability to MAP a drive to a windows share and have it report correctly seems like a pretty fundamental task for any NAS device, and I would hope that WHS could do it properly.

Please advise.

This is normal behavior.  See MS article KB957825 for details.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hi.

Please advise.

This is normal behavior.  See MS article KB957825 for details.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:51 PM
  • However, a side effect of the update is that mapped drives appear to report inaccurate information. That is, they report more space than the capacity of the drive.

Thanks for the link to the KB, at least now I know that it's not just something wrong on my machine.  I'm a bit concerned however that you would call this "normal behavior" - I think "a known issue" would be more appropriate.  That would give me some hope that a fix was planned for the future.

Monday, August 3, 2009 4:04 PM

• Thanks for the link to the KB, at least now I know that it's not just something wrong on my machine.  I'm a bit concerned however that you would call this "normal behavior" - I think "a known issue" would be more appropriate.  That would give me some hope that a fix was planned for the future.

That's why I said "normal behavior".  :)

I don't believe it will ever change (otherwise, MS would have done it long ago).  My speculation is this:  Free space fluctuates on a hard drive and can be "tricked" to display whatever number MS wants (because it's necessary for that amount to be able to change).  However, total space on a hard drive is a static amount and therefore it can't be "tricked" to show anything other than what it is.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:39 PM