none
HPC Pack 2008 SQL Express install error @HPC Server 2008 Eval [Latest Bits available via MS Download]

Question

• Hi !

I did download the latest available HPC Server 2008 Eval plus the HPC Pack bits and did a clean install of both on to an Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 1.5 GHz and 2 Gig RAM.

Everytime I get stuck during the SQL install part of the setup file with error message:

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot add functional unit 'sp_sqlagent_get_startup_info' to component 'Agent XPs'. This unit has been already registered with the component. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

Event Viewer [Application Log]:

Error: 50000 Severity: 20 State: 127 Cannot add stored procedure to component. SYSDBUPG.SQL terminating.

Furthermore I downloaded and tried the SQL Server 2005 standalone, but after install went thru withour any errors this database does not even get recognized by the HPC Pack installer (option to setup new database or use existing one).

Use existing database is greyed out:(

Apart from that I also tried standalone SQL installations. SQL Express 2005 SP2 + SP3 fails too. Even tried some of the tipps already provided here in the forums and from the Internet, but without success.

It is just the SQL part which makes things being stuck, chosing install as non head node and setup of HPC Pack runs thru.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Cheers,

Harry

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Harry,

I'm by no means a SQL subject matter expert <g>, but found only 1 other customer case back from 2007 that had experienced the same error as you experienced.  They experienced the error because the date was set incorrectlyto 2002.

Can you please confirm your date/time and time zone are set correctly?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike R. [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:08 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:55 PM

All replies

• To be clear, is SQL install failing (i.e. you never even get into the part where you install the HPC Pack itself)?  And you only see this error message wen installing SQL 2005 Express as part of HPC Pack prerequisites installation?

Thanks,
    Josh

-Josh
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Hi Josh,

yes, never reach the last step of the HPC Pack setup file which installs the HPC Pack itself.
    All SQL stuff is uninstalled, folders deleted, machine rebooted and another try of running the setup.exe of the HPC Pack ends in the same error message.

Pretty stuck on that.

PS: forgot to mention, in the end I updated the HPC 2008 Server via WSUS with 49 available updates and a huge service pack, and even that made no difference on the error messages I received.

Thanks,

Harry
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Let me ask around a bit and see if I can find a solution.

In the meantime, you can try installing SQL Server 2005 Express standalone (should be on your HPC Pack CD).  If you give the instance the name COMPUTECLUSTER then the HPC install should find it.

Thanks,
    Josh
    -Josh
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi,
      As you could be able to install SQL standalone, could you install it with InstanceName=COMPUTECLUSTER? As our HPC Pack only respects this setting. And from version 3, you will have the ability to connect to existing DB with connection string.

For help us investigating the problem further, could you share us the setup log with us? It should be available under %temp%\HPCSetupLogs\

Thanks,
    Qiufang
    Qiufang Shi
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hi Harry,

I'm by no means a SQL subject matter expert <g>, but found only 1 other customer case back from 2007 that had experienced the same error as you experienced.  They experienced the error because the date was set incorrectlyto 2002.

Can you please confirm your date/time and time zone are set correctly?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike R. [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:08 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I indeed use a battless CPU SBC which defaults on every power loss / cycle to 01/01/2002. Hard to circumvent without using a GPS module as clock source in my system.

Will give this a try before I leave for the weekend.

Cheers,

Harry
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Mike, you are my new personal god ;)

Thanks to Josh Barnard and Qiufang Shi, too!

Your hint was a perfect match! Changed the time settings in HPC 2008 and the HPC Pack installed like a charm.

Guys, thanks a lot for all your help. 
    Will highlight this when Torsten Langner visits me in couple of weeks.

Cheers and have a nice weekend,

Harry
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:08 PM