One Care Tune-up in progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, when I see that One Care is in the process of tuning up my computer, it seems to stop running, although the icon on my start menu is still going. It'll run up to about 90% and then not show what it has done and when I check back to see if it has completed the tune-up, the arrow is still on the "Scan for viruses and other potentially unwanted software" and it hasn't even touched the "Check for files that need backing up" and "Check for high priority security updates from Microsoft." I don't know if this would help, but I have Windows XP Service Pack 2. Thanks for the help. Jon
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:55 PM

Answers

• Well, I mistakenly left it running over night and this afternoon when I went to read my email, the tune up eventually completed because I had to go in Windows Update to get updates for my computer that I hadn't had before, so it had to have completed the tune up during the night when I wasn't watching it. All is OK now, Steve. Thank you. Jon

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I guess I'd say, "sort of okay." I'm concerned about the fact that it seems to hang for an excessive amount of time, but am glad that it is indeed completing.

If this persists, I'd recommend that you contact support as it may indicate some problem on the PC that should be taken care of to improve performance.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:23 AM

All replies

• When Tune-up appears to be stuck at 90% while scanning for viruses and spyware, that typically means it has found a threat or threats and is taking action on them - which can be a lengthy process.

Does Tune-up ever finish at that point or are you canceling? How long are you waiting at the 90% mark?

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:32 PM
  • One time it would be 1 hour and another time it would be more than 4, each time locking up at 90%. As far as notifying me of a virus, it wouldn't show me a virus during the tune-up. I would receive a notification of a virus after I would close the program--some time later. Jon

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:32 PM
  • That's correct. If it finds a virus during the scan in Tune-up, it does not immediately display a warning. It will take care of it (at that mysterious 90% point) and then tell you about it in the report - if you choose to view it.

So, does Tune-up eventually finish or is it failing to finish, or are you canceling it before it is complete?

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:35 AM
  • Well, I mistakenly left it running over night and this afternoon when I went to read my email, the tune up eventually completed because I had to go in Windows Update to get updates for my computer that I hadn't had before, so it had to have completed the tune up during the night when I wasn't watching it. All is OK now, Steve. Thank you. Jon

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I guess I'd say, "sort of okay." I'm concerned about the fact that it seems to hang for an excessive amount of time, but am glad that it is indeed completing.

If this persists, I'd recommend that you contact support as it may indicate some problem on the PC that should be taken care of to improve performance.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:23 AM
  • I have similar problems - during virus check and sometimes during defrag (when starting defrag on the usb drive) One Care Tune-up either freezes computer (black screen, need to hard restart) or restarts the machine at 3%, 10%, 20%  or else (never 90%) .

After restarting the PC, One Care says that

either "Tune-up was cancelled by the user"(One Care 2,0)

or "Tune-up never started" (One Care 2.5 beta).

I was unable to find any system records about this glitch (looking through EventViewer or Problem checks and reports).

From this March I have vista x64 Home Premium. The above bug appears in One Care 2.0 as well as in 2.5 beta version without exception.

The same machine had no problem at all while running One Care under xp in the past before March 2008.

Moreover, I don't have such problems on other computers in the houshold running XP or vista x32 but in my vista x64 it is a real nuisance.

If One Care Is NOT compatible with  vista x64 it should be stated clearly or the bug should be fixed.

Friday, May 30, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Your final statement is totally incorrect - OneCare *is* 100% compatible with Vista 64 bit since the release of 2.0.

I'm sorry that your PC is crashing during the Tune-up, but this problem is due to a specific problem on *that* PC. It is either overheating, encountering a driver crash, or running into a file that, while scanning, crashes Windows hard - perhaps due to an infection, though I doubt that in your case as it is crashing randomly.

It is possible that it is due to a bug, but until that can be determined, a bug or any of the reasons I specified are only speculation.

Please contact support for help in investigating the cause of your problem on that PC.

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:21 AM