Backup feature? RRS feed

• Question

• I love SyncToy.  It's my new favorite tool and I use it every day, both at work and at home.  One thing I'd like to see, if it's not already possible, is an option to back up files that will be overwritten (similar to source control).  Right now, I look through the files that will be backed up and, if I think I might want the older version (which will be replaced when the backup takes place), I zip those files into an archive before I run SyncToy.  It would be nice if we could have it automatically back up those files which will be overwritten, possibly with a dated zip archive or something.

I'm an avid .NET developer, and I would love to write an add-on to do this if it's not something you can work into your schedule.  :)  I'd appreciate any information you can give me regarding the possibility of implementing this feature, or if it's possible to create add-ons for SyncToy.

Thanks!
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi -

It is nice to see the enthusiasm you have in our "toy". I know this is not precisely what you are asking but there is an option to send all files that we delete to the Recycle Bin. But also be aware of the fact that there are devices ( like USB keys) that might not have recycle bins and those files might be deleted forever.

We release SyncToy "as-is" and we did not forsee making it something that developers could plug into because we currently cannot support this :( However - SyncToy also is something that uses the Microsoft Sync Framework File Sync Provider as its underlying technology. Anyone can write a file sync utiliy to do what they want using that. If you really want to do this - go ahead and play with that and please do give us feedback !

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi -

It is nice to see the enthusiasm you have in our "toy". I know this is not precisely what you are asking but there is an option to send all files that we delete to the Recycle Bin. But also be aware of the fact that there are devices ( like USB keys) that might not have recycle bins and those files might be deleted forever.

We release SyncToy "as-is" and we did not forsee making it something that developers could plug into because we currently cannot support this :( However - SyncToy also is something that uses the Microsoft Sync Framework File Sync Provider as its underlying technology. Anyone can write a file sync utiliy to do what they want using that. If you really want to do this - go ahead and play with that and please do give us feedback !

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I love SyncToy.  It's my new favorite tool and I use it every day, both at work and at home.  One thing I'd like to see, if it's not already possible, is an option to back up files that will be overwritten (similar to source control).  Right now, I look through the files that will be backed up and, if I think I might want the older version (which will be replaced when the backup takes place), I zip those files into an archive before I run SyncToy.  It would be nice if we could have it automatically back up those files which will be overwritten, possibly with a dated zip archive or something.

I'm an avid .NET developer, and I would love to write an add-on to do this if it's not something you can work into your schedule.  :)  I'd appreciate any information you can give me regarding the possibility of implementing this feature, or if it's possible to create add-ons for SyncToy.

Thanks!

Certainly go along with the sentiments here - for my needs, SyncToy has everything except archive capability. How wonderful if this "more-than-a-toy" was a One Stop Shop for all my needs?

It raises the question, though, how to identify files to be "versioned". I'd be satisfied with a simple name pattern match (i could prefix all target filenames with "@" or "+" for example). But what about a radical upgrade to Windows with a new file flag to supplement the badly-named Archive bit. You might call it the Version flag? Set it manually on everything you want version-respecting backup?

Paul

Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:04 PM