Problems with a Server Restore. RRS feed

• Question

• My system drive died in the Server, so of course I attempted to do a System Restore.

I booted up off the DVD, plugged in a usb flash drive that contained drivers for my PCIe SATA controller so I could see the external drives.  drivers loaded and all seemed to be good, the restore moved along.  However, when it got to the point of trying to finalize the install, I got an error that it couldn't find a particular path.  Seemed it couldn't find a WHS drive or something according to the log that I saw.  I was thinking it might have had something to do with me leaving the USB flash drive plugged in.  I had rebooted the system, but still got the same error.  Reloaded/updated the controller drivers, just to make sure, but still that didn't help, I couldn't get the install to finish, even though I could see all the drives/data was there.

So, I decided to try a restore again.  I deleted the System partition, rebooted with the DVD, loaded drivers, etc, but this time loaded the drivers from a CD, and continued on with the install.  This time the install finished, had an error because it couldn't read the external drives, no biggy, I needed to load the drivers for the controller.  So I load up the drivers, rebooted and the system continued and had no errors and all seemed to have succeeded successfully.  However, none of the data on the drives are back in their appropriate Shared Folders as I would have expected.  I read that this process could take awhile depending on the amount of data you have, well it's been well over 24+ hours and still nothing has happened.  The system is pretty much idle.

I can still see all my data when I go to d:\folders\<someguid>.  So I know the data is there.  When I go into the Console, it tells me 1.9TB is used for the System, which would be all my data files. 

So, I'm a little stuck on what I should do.

Is the reason the data isn't getting moved because of the first failed restore?

Is there something I can do to manually kick off the migration of the data to make it get where it's suppose to be?

Should I try and delete the System drive again and attempt another restore? (not sure this would do much good)

Or am I stuck, and I should just manually copy the files from d:\folders to d:\shares?   Will I screw something up if I do this and then delete the stuff under d:\folders after I'm done copying the files?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Friday, April 2, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• If it did not restore your data pool, you'll need to do that manually

Note: your data is in the hidden DE\shares folder. Don't recommend touching anything else except that

Friday, April 2, 2010 8:14 PM
  • My system drive died in the Server, so of course I attempted to do a System Restore.

I booted up off the DVD, plugged in a usb flash drive that contained drivers for my PCIe SATA controller so I could see the external drives.  drivers loaded and all seemed to be good, the restore moved along.  However, when it got to the point of trying to finalize the install, I got an error that it couldn't find a particular path.  Seemed it couldn't find a WHS drive or something according to the log that I saw.  I was thinking it might have had something to do with me leaving the USB flash drive plugged in.  I had rebooted the system, but still got the same error.  Reloaded/updated the controller drivers, just to make sure, but still that didn't help, I couldn't get the install to finish, even though I could see all the drives/data was there.

So, I decided to try a restore again.  I deleted the System partition, rebooted with the DVD, loaded drivers, etc, but this time loaded the drivers from a CD, and continued on with the install.  This time the install finished, had an error because it couldn't read the external drives, no biggy, I needed to load the drivers for the controller.  So I load up the drivers, rebooted and the system continued and had no errors and all seemed to have succeeded successfully.  However, none of the data on the drives are back in their appropriate Shared Folders as I would have expected.  I read that this process could take awhile depending on the amount of data you have, well it's been well over 24+ hours and still nothing has happened.  The system is pretty much idle.

I can still see all my data when I go to d:\folders\<someguid>. 

Your data is not in D:\folders.  That is where various parts of WHS are stored, such as the backup database (and technically, the database isn't even stored there).

So I know the data is there.  When I go into the Console, it tells me 1.9TB is used for the System, which would be all my data files.

So, I'm a little stuck on what I should do.

Is the reason the data isn't getting moved because of the first failed restore?

The data doesn't "move" after a Server Reinstallation.  It's reintegrated into the pool during the Reinstallation (which sounds to me like it didn't see your external drives on your second attempt).

Is there something I can do to manually kick off the migration of the data to make it get where it's suppose to be?

See post above about data movement/migration.  (And, no, data cannot be reintegrated after the Reinstallation is complete.)

Should I try and delete the System drive again and attempt another restore? (not sure this would do much good)

You can try, but I don't think it will help since those drives are not part of this install and won't be reintegrated into the next one.

Or am I stuck, and I should just manually copy the files from d:\folders to d:\shares?   Will I screw something up if I do this and then delete the stuff under d:\folders after I'm done copying the files?

See this FAQ post about how to recover data.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Friday, April 2, 2010 8:21 PM
  • There isn't much of anything under the hidden D:\de folder.  I see a DEguid.txt file, a folders directory that contains a guid directory with a single file of whs.reg. 

All of my old data does appear under d:\folders\<guid>\shares.  There is also another folder under d:\folders\<guid>\folders\<guid> that looks like contains the old backup dbs.

Friday, April 2, 2010 11:42 PM
  • There isn't much of anything under the hidden D:\de folder.  I see a DEguid.txt file, a folders directory that contains a guid directory with a single file of whs.reg. 

All of my old data does appear under d:\folders\<guid>\shares.  There is also another folder under d:\folders\<guid>\folders\<guid> that looks like contains the old backup dbs.

Then I would classify your installation as sufficiently hosed.  :)

I would suggest you start over with a blank hard drive and a New Installation, then move all of the data back to your server through the UNC path once the New Installation is complete.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Ok, I see why now you say files are under the hidden folder "DE", when I moved one of the data drives over to my other computer and looked at it, the files are then located under a DE folder.  But since I was looking at everything on an installed WHS server, this apparently is not the case, or at least not in mine. :) 

I think I'll just attempt to move the files from d:\folders to the UNC shared folders and then remove them from d:\folders.  Looks like this will require some file clean up too to remove the duplicates.  Looks like I have my weekend planned out!

Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Ok, I see why now you say files are under the hidden folder "DE", when I moved one of the data drives over to my other computer and looked at it, the files are then located under a DE folder.  But since I was looking at everything on an installed WHS server, this apparently is not the case, or at least not in mine. :) 

I think I'll just attempt to move the files from d:\folders to the UNC shared folders and then remove them from d:\folders.  Looks like this will require some file clean up too to remove the duplicates.  Looks like I have my weekend planned out!

Like I said, your installation is definitely broken.  You should not have D:\folders\[GUID]\shares and D:\folders\[GUID]\folders\[GUID].  My guess is your reinstallation had issues and that is the result.  I would strongly recommend you start over and get yourself back to a "known good state".
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:06 AM

What GUID?

In some cases, a failing hard drive can result in files being "lost" in the sense that their shadows on the storage pool drives become disconnected from the tombstones in D:\Shares\etc. In this case, when you do a server recovery/reinstallation, those "lost" files, when found, are moved to a specific folder during storage pool reintegration. I believe this is what has happened to your data.

If you can move the files the way you propose below, that would be best. Failing that, another reinstallation (without the secondary drives attached) followed by following the instructions in the FAQ karyia21 linked (note that your source location will differ) is your best bet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:14 PM