Cannot start HTTP SSL, SSDP Discovery Service, UPnP Device Host and therefore Windows Media Connect service RRS feed

• Question

• History:

WHS (PP2) been functioning for almost 2 yrs, without a hitch. This morning - woke to find alert stating that SYS drive was unhealthy. Chose repair to fix it, asked me to reboot.
    Upon reboot, WHS Connector software on Vista client advised 'Windows Media Connector service is not running...'

Attempted to log in to WHS via Console, then received this msg "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

Strange, so I log into WHS via RDP. Under 'Services' find that Windows Media Connect service is in fact stopped, attempt to start it - "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

So check it's dependencies, requires HTTP (which doesnt look like a service), HTTP SSL and UPnP Device Host ...all those services are also stopped. Attempts to start them manually give the same error 'Error 1068...'

Console from within RDP session works, all drives 'Healthy' again.

Suspected possible services corruption? Perform a Windows Update to overwrite some system files and hopefully resolve. As a result, updated to Power Pack 3 and a heap of other hotfixes.

Update was successful, came back up. Now clients report they need a new version of Connector software, sweet - let's update the client software.

"The operation cannot be completed at this time." -- hit 'Back' ..."Please wait while your home server is located" ...nothing. Can't find it. Although I can manually connect to it, ping it and all shares still work.

Any ideas?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:01 AM

Answers

• Can you connect to http://SERVERNAME:55000/  if not it looks like you may have to do a server recovery.

--
    • Marked as answer by riqjuan Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:08 AM
  • Please check in the application event log on your server for an event from the source winlogon at around the time of the restart you mention. That should contain the results of a chkdsk which Windows Home Server ran at that time; perhaps it will have some more information on what went wrong.

But the bottom line appears to be that something happened to your server which resulted in some drive problems, and this (for some reason) has caused IIS to shut down. The recommendation you've already received, for a server reinstallation or recovery, is probably your best bet. For more information about the reinstallation/recovery process see this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Guys,

Just an update - have managed to resolve this issue myself in the end without the need for a Server Re-Install.

Did some research into the services that were not starting correctly and worked my way backwards, was able to find the path location to most of the services and came across the HTTP SSL service. Which is actually 'c:\windows\system32\drivers\http.sys' -- well it turns out this file was missing from my WHS (suspect this occurred when I got the SYS drive unhealthy issue due to file conflicts error).

Anyway as a test I grabbed another copy of 'http.sys' from a Windows 2003 Server (IIS v6) I had access to, copied to the WHS, rebooted and BINGO! All the above services started automatically...this in turn allowed me to find the server again @ 55000 and download the latest Connector Software. Console connects no probs again.

All working flawlessly! Phew!

Thanks for both your help!

RiQ

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:03 AM

All replies

• History:

WHS (PP2) been functioning for almost 2 yrs, without a hitch. This morning - woke to find alert stating that SYS drive was unhealthy. Chose repair to fix it, asked me to reboot.
    Upon reboot, WHS Connector software on Vista client advised 'Windows Media Connector service is not running...'

Attempted to log in to WHS via Console, then received this msg "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

Strange, so I log into WHS via RDP. Under 'Services' find that Windows Media Connect service is in fact stopped, attempt to start it - "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

So check it's dependencies, requires HTTP (which doesnt look like a service), HTTP SSL and UPnP Device Host ...all those services are also stopped. Attempts to start them manually give the same error 'Error 1068...'

Console from within RDP session works, all drives 'Healthy' again.

Suspected possible services corruption? Perform a Windows Update to overwrite some system files and hopefully resolve. As a result, updated to Power Pack 3 and a heap of other hotfixes.

Update was successful, came back up. Now clients report they need a new version of Connector software, sweet - let's update the client software.

"The operation cannot be completed at this time." -- hit 'Back' ..."Please wait while your home server is located" ...nothing. Can't find it. Although I can manually connect to it, ping it and all shares still work.

Any ideas?
    Have you tried running chkdsk /r on both partitions on the primary drive?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Can you connect to http://SERVERNAME:55000/  if not it looks like you may have to do a server recovery.

--
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:08 AM
  • I have run chkdsk on C: and D: -- no effect.

When connecting to http://SERVERNAME:55000 - i get nothing, because I assume that page is hosted on IIS (which will not start)

What is a 'server recovery' is that different from a 'Re-install' ? Is there a way that WHS can repair its install instead of performing a full re-installation?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Please check in the application event log on your server for an event from the source winlogon at around the time of the restart you mention. That should contain the results of a chkdsk which Windows Home Server ran at that time; perhaps it will have some more information on what went wrong.

But the bottom line appears to be that something happened to your server which resulted in some drive problems, and this (for some reason) has caused IIS to shut down. The recommendation you've already received, for a server reinstallation or recovery, is probably your best bet. For more information about the reinstallation/recovery process see this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Guys,

Just an update - have managed to resolve this issue myself in the end without the need for a Server Re-Install.

Did some research into the services that were not starting correctly and worked my way backwards, was able to find the path location to most of the services and came across the HTTP SSL service. Which is actually 'c:\windows\system32\drivers\http.sys' -- well it turns out this file was missing from my WHS (suspect this occurred when I got the SYS drive unhealthy issue due to file conflicts error).

Anyway as a test I grabbed another copy of 'http.sys' from a Windows 2003 Server (IIS v6) I had access to, copied to the WHS, rebooted and BINGO! All the above services started automatically...this in turn allowed me to find the server again @ 55000 and download the latest Connector Software. Console connects no probs again.

All working flawlessly! Phew!

Thanks for both your help!

RiQ

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:03 AM