Cannot connect to the server after a few minutes RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WHS for more than a year with no issue.  Recently, my backups stopped working and I have trouble using remote desktop, server console and the shared folders.  A few minutes after rebooting the server disappears from the network.  However, if I reboot the server and the client, it works for few minutes, then the server becomes invisible again.

I have tried reinstalling the connector and running Discovery.  Like the reboot, that works for a few minutes.  I removed the router and directly connected it to the computer, no difference. I turned of the firewall on the client, no change.

Any ideas?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:48 AM

All replies

• I have been using WHS for more than a year with no issue.  Recently, my backups stopped working and I have trouble using remote desktop, server console and the shared folders.  A few minutes after rebooting the server disappears from the network.  However, if I reboot the server and the client, it works for few minutes, then the server becomes invisible again.

I have tried reinstalling the connector and running Discovery.  Like the reboot, that works for a few minutes.  I removed the router and directly connected it to the computer, no difference. I turned of the firewall on the client, no change.

Any ideas?

Do you have other clients you can try to connect from?  If so, are they all the same?  Once it disappears, can you successfully ping the server, either by name or by IP address?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Is it a home built server? If so, I would recommend trying a new NIC and make sure you have Server 2003 drivers available for it. If the existing NIC is built into the motherboard, be sure to disable it in the BIOS.

Cruise
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:01 PM