WHS 2011 crashes before it can complete a backup RRS feed

• Question

• Since building a new WHS 2011 server last week, I have not been able to successfully back up any of my client computers.  When I attempt to run a backup, the server completes as much as 90% of the backup, but then it appears to crash. I don’t know exactly what that failure consists of, but the Launchpad displays a warning in the lower left-hand corner to the effect that the server is offline. I have to do a hard reboot to get it up and running again, at which point I can see that the backup has failed. After the failure, I can still hear the fan running inside the server box, so I don't believe it's a power supply issue--rather it appears that the software is crashing.

I should mention that I installed Drive Bender, because I needed more than 2 TB for client computer backup. Drive Bender supposedly successfully created a pooled disk, but as I said, backups to it fail just before completing.

I've also installed the UR2 update, but backups continue to fail.

The only successful backup I had was immediately after installing WHS 2011, and before I installed Drive Bender and ran the OS update. However, that backup, from a single computer,  used nearly an entire 2TB disk, which is why I installed Drive Bender. Since then, no luck.

Does this sound like a hardware problem, or a software problem? Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot, or what to try next? If all else fails, I might have to go back to V1.

Thanks!

Saul
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:59 PM

All replies

• Since building a new WHS 2011 server last week, I have not been able to successfully back up any of my client computers.  When I attempt to run a backup, the server completes as much as 90% of the backup, but then it appears to crash. I don’t know exactly what that failure consists of, but the Launchpad displays a warning in the lower left-hand corner to the effect that the server is offline. I have to do a hard reboot to get it up and running again, at which point I can see that the backup has failed. After the failure, I can still hear the fan running inside the server box, so I don't believe it's a power supply issue--rather it appears that the software is crashing.

I should mention that I installed Drive Bender, because I needed more than 2 TB for client computer backup. Drive Bender supposedly successfully created a pooled disk, but as I said, backups to it fail just before completing.

I've also installed the UR2 update, but backups continue to fail.

The only successful backup I had was immediately after installing WHS 2011, and before I installed Drive Bender and ran the OS update. However, that backup, from a single computer,  used nearly an entire 2TB disk, which is why I installed Drive Bender. Since then, no luck.

Does this sound like a hardware problem, or a software problem? Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot, or what to try next? If all else fails, I might have to go back to V1.

Thanks!

Saul

Sounds like a drive or drive bender problem. I've read reports that drive bender is not compatable with VSS.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Thanks. Sorry, what's VSS and how does it relate?

Saul
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:37 AM
  • I finally have a successful backup of one of my computers. Now I will try to back up one of the others. Still using Disk Bemnder, keeping my fingers crossed.
    Saul
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:35 AM