Office Home and Student 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchesed a new netboook computer and a copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.  My netbook does not have an optical drive so I went to the download site noted in the instructions.  I downloaded the software and "believe" I registered the product at that time. Now when I go to use the soeftware I get a window asking for my "Product Key".  When I enter the 25 numbers & letters (from the sticker on the sheet inside the box) I get a red letter notification that the code is invalid.  I have spent several hours trying to resolve this but have not been successful and I can't find a phone number to talk to someone for help.  This is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with any computer and makes me want to go to Apple.

Please help

Jerry Davis (251) 625-6503  jerrydavis2000@gmil.com

Monday, October 4, 2010 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hello JDDavis,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, could you be more specific about exactly what you purchased regarding Office H&S 2010?  IOW, did you buy a full packaged product complete with installation discs, or did you buy a "Product Key Card" package that has no installation discs?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:46 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hello JDDavis,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, could you be more specific about exactly what you purchased regarding Office H&S 2010?  IOW, did you buy a full packaged product complete with installation discs, or did you buy a "Product Key Card" package that has no installation discs?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I purchesed a new netboook computer and a copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.  My netbook does not have an optical drive so I went to the download site noted in the instructions.  I downloaded the software and "believe" I registered the product at that time. Now when I go to use the soeftware I get a window asking for my "Product Key".  When I enter the 25 numbers & letters (from the sticker on the sheet inside the box) I get a red letter notification that the code is invalid.  I have spent several hours trying to resolve this but have not been successful and I can't find a phone number to talk to someone for help.  This is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had with any computer and makes me want to go to Apple.

Please help

Jerry Davis (251) 625-6503  jerrydavis2000@gmil.com

Most computers come with a trial version of Office installed.  If you haven't removed that trial product from your computer that may be causing your issues.  To see if any is currently installed go into Control Panel, Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs for XP operating system) and look for Microsoft Office xxx.  Uninstall from there and reboot the computer.  Reinstall only your 2010 version from the downloaded disk using your new key. You can also run the MGA Diagnostics.  It will show pre-2010 versions of Office but will not show Office 2010 yet. 
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:46 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:49 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:46 PM