Cannot Remotely access WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Applies To:                Windows                                    | Windows 7                                    | Networking and Getting Online

I have set up my home network main computer Windows 7 Home premium, ASUS TS mini with Windows Homeserver connected to a British Telecom Home Hub 3. Within the house the system is fine and I can connect wirelessly from my laptop to the Windows Home Server.

I have enabled remote access and my ISP says the ports are all open, the desktop states remote connection ia available.

I have my own domain name.  

I find the following problems if i use http://xxxxxxx.homeserver.com I am directed to the windows server web page however once i click logon on i get an error message cannot display web page

If I use https://xxxxx.homeserver.com it immediately displays the same error message 'cannot display web page.

My laptop also uses windows 7 home premium

Is this the problem home premium or is there a fix or do i need to do something else

Looking forward for some help many thanks

MJ

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:27 AM

All replies

• No need to ask the same question multiple times! Which version of WHS are you using as you have posted the same question on both forums?

Run ShieldsUp at www.grc.com on a client to confirm that the Ports you think are open actually are.

W7 Home Premium on the laptop you are trying to access with should not be the problem. Have you done any configuration of your Server outside the Dashboard? Have you changed the Workgroup name? Do you have AV software on your Server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Client OS version isn't the problem; pretty much any browser, on any OS (including MacOS) should be able to use the basic functionality in the Remote Access web site. Not all browsers will let you use the remote desktop, console/dashboard, or streaming (on Windows Home Server 2011) but you should be able to at least log in and browse shares.

My suspicion is that there's something wrong with your router configuration. Possibly port 443 hasn't been forwarded to your server? Are you using UPnP? If so, turn it off, assign your server an IP address manually, and forward ports manually.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:51 PM