none
SyncToy Auto Sync ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am an IT Systems Analyst working at General Sessions Court here in Nashville TN. We need regular backups of changing directories on different PC to servers, SyncToy is working fine using it manually. We wish there was way or will there be away in the future to automatically sync folders. A way we could keep Synctoy running in the back ground watching directory changes and updating them on the fly.  It would also be nice to place synctoy in the drop down menu, when a drive or dir is selected, then you could pick SYNC TO then browse to another dir to sync with. Just an Idea!
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:49 PM

All replies

• Thanks and one we're definitely looking to support in the future Wink

-Moe

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:36 AM
  • You can use Windows Scheduler to automate the syncing at specified time intervals.  Also if you set it to use SyncToyCmd.exe there will be no GUI popup.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:25 AM
  • See my post here for back-ground process and scheduling SyncToy (one can use Task Scheduler and set to run when idle down to (every) one minute):

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2882929&SiteID=75

but consider my post and Liam's reply here about 'opened' files during back-up, one can use something like 'Taskkill /im' in batch file to close apps that may have files opened prior to backing up but obviously this will be intrusive for user:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Sync/showpost.aspx?postid=2877241&siteid=75

As an example batch file to close apps with opened data files such as outlook:

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq OUTLOOK.EXE" | find /i "OUTLOOK.EXE" 

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO _synctoy

Taskkill /im OUTLOOK.EXE
    sleep 5
    "D:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0 Beta\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R"Outlook backup on Study"
    start /MIN OUTLOOK.EXE
    GOTO end

:_synctoy

"D:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0 Beta\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R"Outlook backup on Study"

:end

Jim

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:39 PM