Now that does improve performance! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

For some time I've been focussed upon getting better performance from my WHS particuarly in streaming HD content. The server now runs with 2gb RAM and a multi-core processor, but I was still getting significant stuttering and very slow performance of media centre. I finally bit the bullet and decided to re-wire the house with CAT6, a 16 port gigabit switch and all of a sudden, a re-born home entertainment solution. Been running it for a few days now, and despite the work involved, wondered why I had never done it before.

So, although I'm still getting isolated problems with codecs etc, its probably the single most effective improvement i've done!

Monday, August 4, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• I am ready to do the same, I stream video from the WHS. First thing though I added a wireless N router flashed with DD-WRT, and all my streaming video problems are gone. I still plan on running the cabling but for now I can verify the WHS can stream HD video to an AppleTV over wireless N without issue. I am also streaming to a Xbox360, it is fine on a dedicated Wireless G link.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:53 PM