Automatic Shared Folder Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to automatically configuring shared folder backup? I am currently doing manual backup for my shared folders. I could not find any option to set it up automatically!

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:05 AM

Answers

• To have the server backup option available, you need to have a disk added to the server, but not part of the storage pool. This is something that became available with PP1 and, when you step through the add a disk wizard, it will ask you if you want to use this disk as a Shared Folder Backup.

Note that this backup operation is a manual process, it cannot be set to be run automatically.

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Thanks Colin.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:53 AM

All replies

• In the WHS Console, click on Shared Folders. Right-click on a folder & select Properties. Check the box "Enable folder duplication".

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Thanks Bobsie.

I have enabled the "Folder Duplication" option. Do you know why the Configure Backup option is disabled for my Home Server in the "Compter and Backup" tab.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:01 PM
  • To have the server backup option available, you need to have a disk added to the server, but not part of the storage pool. This is something that became available with PP1 and, when you step through the add a disk wizard, it will ask you if you want to use this disk as a Shared Folder Backup.

Note that this backup operation is a manual process, it cannot be set to be run automatically.

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Thanks Colin.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:53 AM
  • I have 4 internal HDDs in the WHS pool and 2 HDDs that are not.  I've looked all over the WHS console and can't find where to enable the Shared Folder Backup feature.  Exactly where is it?

( I'm running a fresh install of OEM with all updates and PP1.  Add-ons are WHS Toolkit, Whiist, and Disk Management.)

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:05 PM
  • If you had the drives installed prior to installing PP1, then it possible you won't see the option.

You need to go through the remove drive option and then when you add it again, the Wizard will ask you if you wish to use the drive as a Shared Folders Backup.

Once you do so, if you highlight the server listed on the Computers & Backup tab, the Backup Now button will become active.

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Colin,  thanks for the info.

Since I would be removing a non-pool drive, I assume it would be as simple as first telling WHS to remove the drive, and then telling WHS to add it back as a non-pool drive -- since no data will need to be shuffled to other drives as with a drive removal from the pool.  When I do this, will I actually need to:

1.  Restart the WHS?

2.  Just restart the WHS Console?

3.  None of the above, just immediately add the non-pool drive back using the WHS console?

4,  or use some other way?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:56 PM
  •  rdb195 wrote:
    Colin,  thanks for the info.

Since I would be removing a non-pool drive, I assume it would be as simple as first telling WHS to remove the drive, and then telling WHS to add it back as a non-pool drive -- since no data will need to be shuffled to other drives as with a drive removal from the pool.  When I do this, will I actually need to:

1.  Restart the WHS?

2.  Just restart the WHS Console?

3.  None of the above, just immediately add the non-pool drive back using the WHS console?

4,  or use some other way?

A drive that is currently not part of the storage pool does not need to be removed at all.  Just go through the process of adding the drive to WHS.  You will now have a choice of adding the drive to the storage pool or using it to backup the network shares.

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:00 AM
  • If I choose to "add" the drive, and select the "backup" option, will WHS insist on formatting the drive?

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:57 AM
  •  rdb195 wrote:
    If I choose to "add" the drive, and select the "backup" option, will WHS insist on formatting the drive?

No.  It will give you the option to format, but you don't have to.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:42 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the info.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:53 AM