VCard Sample: Contact fields not defined in VCard get lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi @ll!

I know that the sample says so, but how should one deal with this ideally?

For example, when I am having two data stores (Outlook and Hotmail) which have only partially overlapping fields (both have a field for first name and last name, but only Outlook has a field for "pager" and only hotmail has a field for a fourth e-mail address for example), how can I preserve the non-overlapping fields during an update?

Thanks in advance!

Lars
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:08 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Lars,

you could use another TransferMechanism. Instead of sending VCards between the providers you could also use something more flexible: for example

Code Snippet

public interface ITransferClass
    {
       List<IFieldItem> FieldItems{get;}
    }
    public interface IFieldItem
    {
      object FieldValue {get;}
      string FieldName {get;}
    }

So the first provider sends a list of his fields and values and the other provider maps them to his own fields.  Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Hi Lars,

This could be solved by updating only the synchronized fields on the destination rather than overwriting the entire destination object when updating it.

So long as you as only synchronizing the set-intersection of the fields found on either side, this should be sufficient.

Hope that helps,

Neil

Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:06 PM