Is this a fake product? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Office Professional 2010 on eBay from a seller that guaranteed it is genuine.  I have not yet opened it and tried it but today I received an email from another eBay seller saying that the product isn't genuine and that it is a fake.  His site says if it has SKU before the numbers over the barcode and says English but made in USA and has holes in the Authenticity sticker it is a fake and will cause all sorts of problems for my computer.

I wanted to email Microsoft for advice but they don't allow free access as I have not installed this so cannot provide them with the Product ID.

Can anyone tell me if I have been scammed by the original seller or if the new email from the other seller is actually the scam?

Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:21 AM

Answers

• Hello stardancer,

This seller has sold nine things since they became an eBay member in Dec 2008.

Before the copies of Office and men's cologne, they sold two items of clothing.  All of a sudden in mid August they become a seller and offer just one software product, Office 2010 and one other product, a mid-priced mens cologne.

The two products have something in common--they are widely pirated/"knocked-off"/pilfered items.  My guess is the seller stumbed upon someone who was hustling this stuff (along with "Rolex" watches, no doubt) out of the trunk of his car, this guy bought a few of each to blow out on eBay at a nice profit, since the seller most likely bought them for pennies on the dollar.

Since you are in the UK, take advanage of this Microsoft service:  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/is-your-software-legit.mspx

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:09 PM
  • "stardancer" wrote in message news:e61d013c-ffa1-4a9c-8e4b-c9f367c9b037...

Hi Noel - I'm answering on behalf of Handymat (I am his wife).  The seller on ebay is:  rjhsuperbuy  the email is:  richy1980@hotmail.co.uk   This seller has positive reviews and (I think) has been selling for a year.  There was an auction on the product but we offered £105 and we got it.  I'm really worried about opening it and putting it on my computer. 

I went to the Ingram Micro website and it has all the correct part numbers etc on it - they correspond with the Ingram Micro site.  Is there any way I can tell if it's a fake without opening it?

Thank you for your help

Sara

I'll second Dan's advice - and add the rider that it's not uncommon for Ingram Micro stickers to be forged also (as we've seen in this forum). It IS always possible that the product is genuine - but the chances are against it.
    Unfortunately, the only way to tell whether it's genuine is to try and install and validate it  - and keep on validating it periodically - and then post the MGADiag report for the install here, so that Darin can check the actual key in use, or we can offer an opinion as to whether it's likely to be a counterfeit or not. In the end, it's the Key you're effectively buying, and which defines a genuine product, not the packaging or disks - they just help to give an indication of genuine-ness (and are why counterfeiters spend such a lot replicating them).

You could always try asking the vendor for a copy of their invoice from Ingrams - if they can produce that, then your chances of success are higher.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• "Handymat" wrote in message news:7bac7b57-8af1-498c-b4b1-afc46a4d8831...

I bought Office Professional 2010 on eBay from a seller that guaranteed it is genuine.  I have not yet opened it and tried it but today I received an email from another eBay seller saying that the product isn't genuine and that it is a fake.  His site says if it has SKU before the numbers over the barcode and says English but made in USA and has holes in the Authenticity sticker it is a fake and will cause all sorts of problems for my computer.

I wanted to email Microsoft for advice but they don't allow free access as I have not installed this so cannot provide them with the Product ID.

Can anyone tell me if I have been scammed by the original seller or if the new email from the other seller is actually the scam?

The chances are better than 50/50 that any software product bought on eBay is a fake.
    For Office and Windows, I suspect that the odds are more like 90/10 in favour of it being fake.
    What vendor? what price? - how long has the vendor been selling software (not other stuff) on eBay? What's the recent sales/feedback history on software?

--

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi Noel - I'm answering on behalf of Handymat (I am his wife).  The seller on ebay is:  rjhsuperbuy  the email is:  richy1980@hotmail.co.uk   This seller has positive reviews and (I think) has been selling for a year.  There was an auction on the product but we offered £105 and we got it.  I'm really worried about opening it and putting it on my computer. 

I went to the Ingram Micro website and it has all the correct part numbers etc on it - they correspond with the Ingram Micro site.  Is there any way I can tell if it's a fake without opening it?

Thank you for your help

Sara

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hello stardancer,

This seller has sold nine things since they became an eBay member in Dec 2008.

Before the copies of Office and men's cologne, they sold two items of clothing.  All of a sudden in mid August they become a seller and offer just one software product, Office 2010 and one other product, a mid-priced mens cologne.

The two products have something in common--they are widely pirated/"knocked-off"/pilfered items.  My guess is the seller stumbed upon someone who was hustling this stuff (along with "Rolex" watches, no doubt) out of the trunk of his car, this guy bought a few of each to blow out on eBay at a nice profit, since the seller most likely bought them for pennies on the dollar.

Since you are in the UK, take advanage of this Microsoft service:  http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/homeuser/is-your-software-legit.mspx

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:09 PM
  • "stardancer" wrote in message news:e61d013c-ffa1-4a9c-8e4b-c9f367c9b037...

Hi Noel - I'm answering on behalf of Handymat (I am his wife).  The seller on ebay is:  rjhsuperbuy  the email is:  richy1980@hotmail.co.uk   This seller has positive reviews and (I think) has been selling for a year.  There was an auction on the product but we offered £105 and we got it.  I'm really worried about opening it and putting it on my computer. 

Thank you for your help

Sara

I'll second Dan's advice - and add the rider that it's not uncommon for Ingram Micro stickers to be forged also (as we've seen in this forum). It IS always possible that the product is genuine - but the chances are against it.
    Unfortunately, the only way to tell whether it's genuine is to try and install and validate it  - and keep on validating it periodically - and then post the MGADiag report for the install here, so that Darin can check the actual key in use, or we can offer an opinion as to whether it's likely to be a counterfeit or not. In the end, it's the Key you're effectively buying, and which defines a genuine product, not the packaging or disks - they just help to give an indication of genuine-ness (and are why counterfeiters spend such a lot replicating them).

You could always try asking the vendor for a copy of their invoice from Ingrams - if they can produce that, then your chances of success are higher.

--

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:24 PM
  • I am in the exact same position. I bought it from E bay too and now I am afraid to open the software. Have you since found out the solution or way to ascertain if the package is genuine.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:48 AM
  • I am in the exact same position. I bought it from E bay too and now I am afraid to open the software. Have you since found out the solution or way to ascertain if the package is genuine.

Return it for a refund!  Over half the software sold on eBay is counterfeit, pirated, bogus!  One cannot tell if software is genuine just by examining the packaging!
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:19 AM