Automatic Windows Update issue RRS feed

• Question

• I do not want to have Automatic Windows update on because the current set up updates cause my system to bluescreen.  I would prefer to have it setup to let me know when there are updates and let me decide which ones to download.  When I use this setting for Windows update, Windows Live OneCare always shows the red icon.  Is there a way to have it ignore the Windows Update setting or not keep the status red. 

Thanks 
    Shawn 

• Moved by JimR1Moderator Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:11 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Firewall)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately One Care will not accept any Windows Update setting other than automatic download and automatic install. You might be able to get help with the troublesome updates at the Microsoft Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately One Care will not accept any Windows Update setting other than automatic download and automatic install. You might be able to get help with the troublesome updates at the Microsoft Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527#tab0
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Hi, Shawn. I just learned of the BSOD problem that was caused by one or more of the Vista updates released on 8/25. The offending update has since been pulled.
    As Jim noted, any option other than download and install or download and install and a specified time will cause OneCare to balk. So your only choices are to ignore the warnings or stop using OneCare. The good news is that the replacement for OneCare, Microsoft Security Essentials, does not include this check and relies on the Windows Security Center to provide feedback about updates to you. MSE will be free when it is released. See the announcements at the top of the forum regarding OneCare's end of life and transition information.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:58 PM