WHS software updates corrupting instal - Suggestions welcome!!! RRS feed

• Question

• WHS installed fine - I explored the system and started to add the WHS connector s/w to first pc to link when I noticed a prompt on the WHS screen to install updates. I reviewed a few but 66 was too many to wade thru' so went ahead with the updates as presented.

This process loaded 66 updates then stated a re-boot was needed.

The reboot failed with this message....

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I tried to follow the instruction but the Setup CD-ROM wants to re-install WHS from scratch..
    So onto web to look for options...

I have read a couple of replies to similar situations indicating this message refering to the repair option is server 2003 legacy code and does not appear with WHS.

The situation appears to be circular - install WHS - Install s/w updates - corrupt install - start again  

Can someone suggest an alternate approach to installing updates or identify which is causig the corruption so I can avoid this?

Tnxs
    Lyric_from_OZ
    Reach4theclouds
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:38 AM

Answers

• Olaf

Thanks for your reply... 

Since my original post I tried to re-install .... and tried and tried and...

I ended up in a simple blue screen titled  "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup"
    The error...
    The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows system image.... .  ntdll.dll  etc etc..

SO..Yes your conclusion is on the right path - some hardware failure - either RAM or HDD or DVD player CD or....

1) I will try to install XP if this is ok then it is the CD else..
    2) I will pull 3 of 4 HDD's and try to install with this setup - if this fails will assume it is this HDD swap and try again - if this fails then it is likely RAM.  else...
    3) Pull some hair out!!!

YUKK.

This has not made my day(!!!), equipment is all practically new not even run in - bought specifically for WHS.

I will mark the post as answered since at a dead end with the original question...
    Thanks again... till later

Lyric_from_OZ
    Reach4theclouds
    • Marked as answer by Lyric_from_OZ Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:16 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:16 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately the message you describe points to a destroyed registry hive. These files usually do not get corrupted due to installing updates, in most cases faulty memory or a damaged disk sector in the wrong place are causing such issues.
    I had similar errors on one Windows XP installation all few month, although WHS backups and system restore folders (which are not part of Windows Home Server) helped to circumvent a reinstallation. After swapping mainboard, CPU and memory this never happened again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Olaf

Thanks for your reply... 

Since my original post I tried to re-install .... and tried and tried and...

I ended up in a simple blue screen titled  "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup"
    The error...
    The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows system image.... .  ntdll.dll  etc etc..

SO..Yes your conclusion is on the right path - some hardware failure - either RAM or HDD or DVD player CD or....

1) I will try to install XP if this is ok then it is the CD else..
    2) I will pull 3 of 4 HDD's and try to install with this setup - if this fails will assume it is this HDD swap and try again - if this fails then it is likely RAM.  else...
    3) Pull some hair out!!!

YUKK.

This has not made my day(!!!), equipment is all practically new not even run in - bought specifically for WHS.

I will mark the post as answered since at a dead end with the original question...
    Thanks again... till later

Lyric_from_OZ
    Reach4theclouds
    • Marked as answer by Lyric_from_OZ Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:16 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:16 PM