Windows Live Mail RRS feed

• Question

• A few months ago I had the experience of trying to restore my Windows Live Mail local data files (made by downloadable WLM applicaiton from Windows Live) from my Windows OneCare BackUp. I am afraid OneCare made a mess of Windows LIve Mail. All the backed up Messages from the various folders in Storage Folders were all put into a single folder on restore and all mixed together. This was a huge manual task to sort out. The Contacts were restored as separate files, but not as part of Windows Live Mail Contacts and they were not importable into Windows Live Contacts, so I had to retype them all.

Today, my wife's computer had to have Vista reinstalled. I was unable to learn from the Windows Live Mail team whether OneCare would adequately backup and restore Windows Live Mail or not. They gave me a manual way to do it (very tedious) and also pointed out several third party products that specifically back up and restore Windows Live Mail.

Since I am already paying for Windows Live OneCare, which purports to support Backup and restore, and the product that I want to backup and restore is another Windows Live product.. I would have thought I wouldn't need to buy a third party product. I will if I have to, but that kind of takes some confidence out of support from OneCare.

Can you tell me definatively one way or the other? Will Windows OneCare backup Windows Live Mail accounts, messages, and contacts, and will it put them back in their original condition on restore? Or not?

Thanks. I just want a straight answer is all, meaning no disrespect.

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• It appears that simply saving a set of files relating to Windows Live Mail itself isn't sufficient to properly restore everything contained in its database. This means that any flat file backup such as that contained in OneCare wouldn't be able to completely recover, even if the correct files themselves had been included in the backup. Also, the OneCare Instant Help only mentions Outlook and Outlook Express file types specifically, so no direct mention of Windows Live Mail is made.

Here's the recommended backup process for Windows Live Mail on an MVP member's Blog site:

How to Backup Windows Live Mail Accounts, Contacts and Messages

http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry

In theory, once this procedure has been followed the files it creates should be available within the OneCare 'Other' category for backup. Though this isn't what you want to hear, it's really the fault of the Windows Live Mail development for creating such a difficult backup/restore process, not OneCare, since no previous Microsoft email package is so difficult to backup.

You might also be interested to know that roughly 90% of home users today use Web Mail instead of POP/IMAP or other download based methods to read email. This means that a shrinking number of users even bother with a full client, so support for these is only likely to reduce over time. Most major email providers supply so much storage space now that it's unnecessary to actually download and keep the email locally, especially since they generally do a much better job of backing up and providing central access to an Internet based population. I myself have stopped using even Outlook, since both my Exchange and Hotmail services are available via either Web Browser or my Windows Mobile phone wherever I need them.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:55 PM

All replies

• It appears that simply saving a set of files relating to Windows Live Mail itself isn't sufficient to properly restore everything contained in its database. This means that any flat file backup such as that contained in OneCare wouldn't be able to completely recover, even if the correct files themselves had been included in the backup. Also, the OneCare Instant Help only mentions Outlook and Outlook Express file types specifically, so no direct mention of Windows Live Mail is made.

Here's the recommended backup process for Windows Live Mail on an MVP member's Blog site:

How to Backup Windows Live Mail Accounts, Contacts and Messages

http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry

In theory, once this procedure has been followed the files it creates should be available within the OneCare 'Other' category for backup. Though this isn't what you want to hear, it's really the fault of the Windows Live Mail development for creating such a difficult backup/restore process, not OneCare, since no previous Microsoft email package is so difficult to backup.

You might also be interested to know that roughly 90% of home users today use Web Mail instead of POP/IMAP or other download based methods to read email. This means that a shrinking number of users even bother with a full client, so support for these is only likely to reduce over time. Most major email providers supply so much storage space now that it's unnecessary to actually download and keep the email locally, especially since they generally do a much better job of backing up and providing central access to an Internet based population. I myself have stopped using even Outlook, since both my Exchange and Hotmail services are available via either Web Browser or my Windows Mobile phone wherever I need them.

OneCareBear

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:55 PM
  • We are using Windows Live Mail Desktop under Windows XP with 2 Windows account users.  Under one Windows account user,  Windows Live Mail works normal.  On the other Windows user, Windows Live Mail will not load.  The initial error message is:  "Windows Live Mail could not be started.  The application was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store.  Windows Live Mail was unable to locate its message database.  If you've moved the data base files to a new location, click OK to reset the the database path to that location.  Otherwise, click CANCEL to proceed, any existing messages found will be availabe under Orphaned Accounts (0x00000000,997)."  Once I click OK or CANCEL the following message appears:  "Windows Live Mail cannot start.  The application was unable to open Windows Live Mail message store.  Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full (0x80070002)."

This problem in recent - Windows Live Mail previously worked with both Windows account users.

I've re-established Outlook Express as the default email under the Windows account user which will not start Windows Live Mail and it works fine.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:48 AM
  •  LDS42 wrote:
    We are using Windows Live Mail Desktop under Windows XP with 2 Windows account users.  Under one Windows account user,  Windows Live Mail works normal.  On the other Windows user, Windows Live Mail will not load.  The initial error message is:  "Windows Live Mail could not be started.  The application was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store.  Windows Live Mail was unable to locate its message database.  If you've moved the data base files to a new location, click OK to reset the the database path to that location.  Otherwise, click CANCEL to proceed, any existing messages found will be availabe under Orphaned Accounts (0x00000000,997)."  Once I click OK or CANCEL the following message appears:  "Windows Live Mail cannot start.  The application was unable to open Windows Live Mail message store.  Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full (0x80070002)."

This problem in recent - Windows Live Mail previously worked with both Windows account users.

I've re-established Outlook Express as the default email under the Windows account user which will not start Windows Live Mail and it works fine.

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

Support for Windows Live Mail and other Windows Live programs and services:

Go to http://support.live.com and sign in with a LiveID

Click on the Windows Live service or product you need help with.

If you are not presented with an email support form, but are instead redirected to help.live.com for that service/product, in the page that opens from http://help.live.com select any topic on the left hand side or search for a question in the search box.

The results of your search or the clicked topic appears in the right hand frame, along with a tiny link in the lower right hand corner – “Get more help.”

Click that tiny link and you will get to a page with a link “Contact support”

Click that link and you will be presented with the email support form to fill out. Provide as much detail as possible and you should get a response from support within 24 hours.

Help topics at http://help.live.com

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:23 PM
  • I see you've been routed elsewhere........I too have the exact same problem. "Down to the letter"! I have unintstalled, reinstalled and cannot resolve the issue. It used to work great, then Bam! Please reply if you have foud the answer to this issue. It would be greatly appreciated, I am wits end and out of thing to try. Thanks

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Gnarly Old Dude said:

I see you've been routed elsewhere........I too have the exact same problem. "Down to the letter"! I have unintstalled, reinstalled and cannot resolve the issue. It used to work great, then Bam! Please reply if you have foud the answer to this issue. It would be greatly appreciated, I am wits end and out of thing to try. Thanks

What is the "exact same problem?" Are you having a problem with OneCare? If not, then follow the instructions above for how to get help with Windows Live Mail.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 30, 2009 4:26 PM