Unable to delete private shared views RRS feed

• Question

• When a CRM user leaves our company and his/her account is deleted from active directory, any shared views he/she created in CRM become “orphaned” and cannot be deleted.  I'm looking for recommendations on other companies deal with this scenario.

This is CRM 2015 Online.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:18 PM

Answers

• If the user record is still active in CRM, you could try to re-associate it with a new temp user in AD. Then log in as that user and delete the view.  If the CRM user record is disabled in CRM, you 

It is not recommended by Microsoft to delete CRM user AD accounts.  If that user returns to work with the same company, and their CRM record is disabled in CRM, you will have to create a new user record and link to a new AD account with a different domain login name.  If you try to use the old login name, you will get an error message that the user already exists.  You may want to suggest a change in policy.  Disabling the record in AD and in CRM (as well as stripping the security role from the CRM user) is more than enough to prevent the user from gaining access to CRM.

The saved views are hidden.  Even through Advanced Find, looking at views, it looks like you can only get to the system view. Unless someone else knows another way, I don't think you can get them removed from a CRM Online environment unless you can persuade Microsoft to do this for you.  At the very minimum, it would require them to run a SQL script to delete the orphaned saved views.

The saved views will export as part of the solution file for their related entities.  You can then edit the xml and delete the saved views and import the solution into a clean environment.  But it really doesn't help in a production environment since reimporting the fixed solution would not delete the existing views.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by AnSDE007 Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:28 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 11:09 PM

All replies

• If the user record is still active in CRM, you could try to re-associate it with a new temp user in AD. Then log in as that user and delete the view.  If the CRM user record is disabled in CRM, you 

It is not recommended by Microsoft to delete CRM user AD accounts.  If that user returns to work with the same company, and their CRM record is disabled in CRM, you will have to create a new user record and link to a new AD account with a different domain login name.  If you try to use the old login name, you will get an error message that the user already exists.  You may want to suggest a change in policy.  Disabling the record in AD and in CRM (as well as stripping the security role from the CRM user) is more than enough to prevent the user from gaining access to CRM.

The saved views are hidden.  Even through Advanced Find, looking at views, it looks like you can only get to the system view. Unless someone else knows another way, I don't think you can get them removed from a CRM Online environment unless you can persuade Microsoft to do this for you.  At the very minimum, it would require them to run a SQL script to delete the orphaned saved views.

The saved views will export as part of the solution file for their related entities.  You can then edit the xml and delete the saved views and import the solution into a clean environment.  But it really doesn't help in a production environment since reimporting the fixed solution would not delete the existing views.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by AnSDE007 Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:28 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 11:09 PM
  • Thank you very much for the response.  I will have to check with the CRM Admin as to why AD accounts for ex-employees have to deleted.  I was told that it had something to do with office 365 but I am going to do more research on that assessment.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:08 AM
  • It turned out to be the corporate's policy.  :(.
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:28 AM