When Will WHS 2011 Support Backup/Restore of GPT Disks? RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, I know that Microsoft has warned us about this limitation in the WHS 2011 Release Notes since day 1.

However, UEFI/GPT technology is becoming more commonplace in modern PCs.

And then we have Mr. Sinofsky and his team trumpeting about features of Windows 8 that depend on UEFI/GPT technology. Naturally, there's not a whisper in their post about Microsoft's dirty little secret that WHS 2011 cannot backup/restore client PCs that use this technology.

Over at Microsoft Connect, the last we heard is that: 

"This bug is currently under the evaluation for future version of the product.
    We will contact you when more information are available".

That was last November. Meanwhile, UEFI/GPT systems are becoming mainstream, and will only get a boost with the imminent arrival of Windows 8.

Does the WHS 2011 team not worry about this? 

• Edited by Geoffc1 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• Thank you Geoff for asking about this. I also have been hoping for a status update... there must be some timeline for implementing GUID partition compatibility as EFI systems and disks greater than 2TB become more widespread. 

I would wager that by the end of this year a larger shift towards UEFI motherboards will start to take place with major manufacturers and the hard drive price bubble will finally burst and larger drives will become more prevalent. This isn't something that the Windows Home Server team can ignore. 

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:20 PM
  • It's hardly a "dirty little secret", since it's documented in the online help. (And elsewhere...)

As for "when", almost certainly not in this version, as it will require a completely new backup engine for EFI/GPT clients. Maybe next version...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Edited by Ken Warren Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Count me in on wanting to see an answer to this one! Whether its a dirty secret or not, its a major issue!

'next version' seems a little disingenuous considering its likely 4-5 years between releases. If you're saying we won't see GPT support until 2016, I must say that sounds like crazy talk.
    However if that's code for 'Microsoft is kicking WHS to the curb', then I could probably believe that.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Unless the major US OEM makers get on board, then my guess is it would be safe to say that."'Microsoft is kicking WHS to the curb," but that is just my 2¢ worth.  However, that said, I have started my search for a suitable replacement.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : 'next version' seems a little disingenuous considering its likely 4-5 years between releases. If you're saying we won't see GPT support until 2016, I must say that sounds like crazy talk.
    : However if that's code for 'Microsoft is kicking WHS to the curb', then I could probably believe that.
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Well now, it appears that support of UEFI/GPT client PCs is being considered for the next Update Rollup of WHS 2011. If so, that would be excellent news indeed!

Those of you (e.g. MVPs) with direct contacts with Microsoft - could you please press for this to be made available in the Update Rollup? 

• Edited by Geoffc1 Monday, September 10, 2012 9:39 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:22 AM
  • This should of course include the ability to back up more than 2TB of data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Are we talking more than 2TB of data for server backup also?
    Don't want to mix apples and oranges, but...

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Monday, September 10, 2012 1:07 PM
  • This should of course include the ability to back up more than 2TB of data.

Phil,

The Client PC backup has always been able to deal with client PCs with more than 2TB of client data. The issue there then becomes how does the SERVER Backup cope with that on WHS 2011, since the Server Backup function in WHS 2011, as you know, can't deal with more than 2TB.

And now, in WS2012E, both issues (the 2TB Server backup limit AND the support of Client PCs using UEFI/GPT) have been dealt with.

Of course, only one of these issues (support of UEFI/GPT Clients) is possibly going to be fixed in WHS 2011. Since the Server Backup limit relies on support of the new VHDX format on the server, I doubt that we will see that retroactively fitted to WHS 2011.

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Geoff

Agreed.

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:58 PM