none
email notification option missing from profile edit RRS feed

• Question

• For various reasons (one of which was an OP's query) I went to look in my profile for the email notification options - and couldn't find them.

They must have been there at some point in the past, because my notifications are arriving at a non-default address (as is proper).

Is this a recent mod or a bug?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:49 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• Looks like this option should be configured from 'My Alerts' link (there is an option at the top called 'Change Alerts').

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:14 PM
  • User error. =^)

No, Just kidding. It's "By Design", and they won't change it. The reason is that the Profile Settings are only about the Profile. The Forum Settings are only about the Forum. The Alerts email is specific to the Forum. They have another three social apps to consider: Wiki, Blog, Gallery. Each has their own settings. So it's entirely possible to combine all the Settings that are similar (such as email) into the Profile, but that's incredibly expensive. The context is that each app is actually an independent platform pieced together from multiple sources and often requires support by multiple, individual vendors. A wee bit complicated. =^)

Thus "By Design".

However, a faster fix than Naomi's is to just click "My Settings" on the upper right of your forum links. It goes directly to the page Naomi mentioned.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:15 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Looks like this option should be configured from 'My Alerts' link (there is an option at the top called 'Change Alerts').

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Ah - found it!

Thanks, Naomi :)

It would be really useful if that was actually transferred to the logical(?) place inside the Profile, rather than an almost invisible link on what is possibly a rarely-used general view.

Ed - Any comment?

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:34 PM
    Answerer
  • User error. =^)

No, Just kidding. It's "By Design", and they won't change it. The reason is that the Profile Settings are only about the Profile. The Forum Settings are only about the Forum. The Alerts email is specific to the Forum. They have another three social apps to consider: Wiki, Blog, Gallery. Each has their own settings. So it's entirely possible to combine all the Settings that are similar (such as email) into the Profile, but that's incredibly expensive. The context is that each app is actually an independent platform pieced together from multiple sources and often requires support by multiple, individual vendors. A wee bit complicated. =^)

Thus "By Design".

However, a faster fix than Naomi's is to just click "My Settings" on the upper right of your forum links. It goes directly to the page Naomi mentioned.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:15 AM
    Owner
  • Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:31 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed

It makes sense, when put in those terms :)

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:27 AM
    Answerer
  • BTW, I've been able to unpropose this finally. Here is what I did:

1. Tried to unpropose - got an error

2. Tried to mark as an answer - got an error

3. Edited this post

4. Saw that it also got marked (no history)

5. Was able to unmark

6. Was able to unpropose

---------------

So, if you will be able to mark it as an answer now, it will be great. At least it will be a compensation for ~1K lost points :)

My blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Happy to oblige - and it worked first time!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:39 PM
    Answerer
  • :) But the funny thing - my points didn't increase because of that. I only gained 5 points on that deal.

My blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:55 PM