Why is Windows Home Server not backing up itself automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS and have set it to back up 2 PC's and itself onto a second internal drive set up as server storage, however while it happliy backs up both the PC's one after the other every day it won't back itself up as it is set to do every day at the same time. I have checked all the settings, can anyone tell me why it won't do as it is told please? It is also not deleting its old backups that I have done manually and are over 3 months old, yet it is set to do so on the 'Sunday tidy up'.

Ian

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For PC backups WHS uses the backup database located in the storage pool.
    Server backup to the second (backup disk) however is a separate and manual process. Server backupwill only backup files the server shares.
    Please see this thread?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:11 PM
  • I am running WHS and have set it to back up 2 PC's and itself onto a second internal drive set up as server storage, however while it happliy backs up both the PC's one after the other every day it won't back itself up as it is set to do every day at the same time. I have checked all the settings, can anyone tell me why it won't do as it is told please? It is also not deleting its old backups that I have done manually and are over 3 months old, yet it is set to do so on the 'Sunday tidy up'.

Ian

Automated server backup is simply not a feature of the current version of Windows Home Server. Backup of the shares as currently present was added later and sadly lacks any option to automate this task. Reasoning is probably you already have the duplication option for shares, combined with the fact that shares may contain very large amounts of data. (Full) server backup will be implemented in the next version of Windows Home Server.

As for backup cleanup, manual backups are kept indefinitely (that's why they have the lock symbol). You can manually set individual backups to be deleted with next backup cleanup.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Moderator,

Is the only way to backup a Windows Home Server to do so manually?

I have the server running and backing up my home computers automatically per the WHS schedule. I also have files stored exclusively on the server's shared folders. On the server I have one internal 1.5TB drive as a "Storage Drive". This is where my networked PCs are backed up. I have a second 1.5TB drive designated as a "Server Backup Hard Drive".

My plan was to backup the backups on the second 1.5TB drive automatically via a schedule. Do I have to do this manually? It seems kind of odd that the WHS software will backup a network PC but not back itself.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:55 AM