WD HDD won't reconize with WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• I just got 2 new WD 300GB SATAII HDD for testing WHS 

since I felt my old SATA 80GB is slow

I decided to go for RAID0 to test out the speed ( won't matter if they died since I'm just speed testing )

but the problem cam out ..

I try to use Every Mode inside BIOS such as Normal IDE mode . Raid . or ACHI . 

but then WHS will stop at the Vista like installing screen and pop a box say can't load something UI

ok .

when I switch back to the OLD SATA1 Seagate 80GB .. no matter which Mode I choose .. I can install WHS without Drama ..

anyone know what's going on ?

( I search inside the forum and found only topics with something like .. WHS hates WD hdd )

can anyone Help me out

I really want to Try to use Raid 0 with my 2x300GB WD HDD

thanks. and have a good weekend  

Saturday, July 14, 2007 7:51 AM

All replies

• You probably have a bad burn.

Also RAID is not supported.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Try by just installing one drive, with IDE selected in your Bios. If that works, then add your other drive to the storage pool which will help for your data redundancy.

Colin

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:19 PM
  • i have same problems ,it impossible install whs with a raid but when i install whs with my 2*320 go segeate sata ,only one is identify to data ,the second is add too but ,i can view only ~300go , why?

sorry for my english

Max

Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:06 PM
  • I just built a new PC for my house.  I was going to try and make a fast and very basic desktop/server out of it with WHS.  I put two Deskstar 500s and a Intel Quad core in it thinking I could install WHS raid0 (for pure speed).  I started by getting the UI error, so I switched to a different DVD drive and things were fine.  After three hours and about 20 attempted installs I gave up.  I got it to see the 940 Gig raid0 after loading the drivers for the GA-P35C-DS3R. At the language and keyboard section it has no values available and if I select "next" it reboots.  I finally installed WHS on one drive and was able to install all the needed programs, so I am kind of frustrated now. 

I have read a few threads in this forum and seached the internet for tips.  It seams some say it can not be installed raid while some people say it can.  If it can not be installed raid, why is it an option?  If I can get it installed raid I was going to add three more HDDs and go raid0+1 or 1+0.  Can anyone help me get this raid0 working?  Does WHS need two seperate drives?  Should I use Server2008 instead?  Sorry for all the newbish questions.  Thanks for any help.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 1:26 AM
  • In order to install Windows Home Server on a RAID array, you will need to supply Windows Server 2003 drivers for the RAID controller at two points in the installation: during the initial graphical period, to get setup to recognize your array and select it for installation, then again during text-mode setup (at the "Press F6" prompt). In text mode setup you will have to supply the drivers on a floppy, otherwise you will have a range of problems (most of which you've likely already seen).

However, Windows Home Server is not supported on hardware including a RAID array even if you succeed. The ability to install on RAID arrays is probably still there because it would have to be removed from Windows Server 2003, and the Windows Home Server team would effectively have to create a new operating system to do that. Since most Windows Home Server systems will be OEM units like the HP MediaSmart, it's not a priority.

The long and the short of it is that you will very possibly not be able to get your server working with a RAID array at all.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 4:17 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    In order to install Windows Home Server on a RAID array, you will need to supply Windows Server 2003 drivers for the RAID controller at two points in the installation: during the initial graphical period, to get setup to recognize your array and select it for installation, then again during text-mode setup (at the "Press F6" prompt). In text mode setup you will have to supply the drivers on a floppy, otherwise you will have a range of problems (most of which you've likely already seen).

However, Windows Home Server is not supported on hardware including a RAID array even if you succeed. The ability to install on RAID arrays is probably still there because it would have to be removed from Windows Server 2003, and the Windows Home Server team would effectively have to create a new operating system to do that. Since most Windows Home Server systems will be OEM units like the HP MediaSmart, it's not a priority.

The long and the short of it is that you will very possibly not be able to get your server working with a RAID array at all.

One other way if you really want to try is to get a motherboard with the Silicon Image 4723 controller chip which supports driverless RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD. Just set the mode via jumpers on the board and start installing your OS.  As a safety feature the Asus P5W board (the first I saw this on) won’t let you change RAID modes jumpers until you approve it in the BIOS.

As this is handled at BIOS / HW level I can see no reason why WHS will not run on it fine (but then again I cannot afford another machine at the mo to test this - on your own head be it...

Andrew

Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:02 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    In order to install Windows Home Server on a RAID array, you will need to supply Windows Server 2003 drivers for the RAID controller at two points in the installation: during the initial graphical period, to get setup to recognize your array and select it for installation, then again during text-mode setup (at the "Press F6" prompt). In text mode setup you will have to supply the drivers on a floppy, otherwise you will have a range of problems (most of which you've likely already seen).

Thanks for your input.  I guess it will not get raid0 or any raid for now.  I cant even get it to the traditional windows install.  If I had known this, I would have went with a faster single HDD.  Oh well, my fault, I guess.  Who would have thought you could not install a server OS on a raid?

Thanks again for the help.

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:36 AM
  • After doing some more research, I found some other things that would have been nice to know before I opened the package. 

"You may not use server roles other than the roles already enabled during the server setup process."

"You may not use the server software as a domain contoller."

"You also may not join the server to any Active Directory domain."

After learning I cant install it in a raid, I tried to install it on another PC with a PATA HDD and I get an error saying it will only install on a SCSI contoller or a SATA HDD.  Is this a bad joke?

I feel mislead, I never saw any of this on the website.  This OS should not have "SERVER" anyware in the name.  I wont even start about my feelings on Vista (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate, Enterprise, Business and the poor support out there for Windows x64).  Just my two cents though, Ill shut up now.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:03 AM