Moderator discourtesy and censorship

General discussion

• I have seen many threads in various forums here that have been slammed shut with a smug lip-service   ✔  that was bound to offend the OP.  Heck, it even offended me.  And I was only reading it.

I posted the above comment in this very forum in thread  Proposing an answer.

I now find this thread has been moved to  Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here).

That is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hmya, that's very sad.  That started out as a very good thread until you started trolling it.  You owe Mr. Clement a big apology.

Don: please split the thread and put back Mr. Clement's part of it as well as the sane comments posted by contributors around that same time.  I'll send an email to Alicia to get the Indian moderator team on the same page.  I'll also ask for forum admin intervention to give the users who abused their right to post to threads in this forum a reminder what is deemed acceptable behavior in a forum.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:58 PM

• You think I trolled it?  I don't.  I think my original message was a frank observation.  Is a frank observation.

The latter posts were an exercise to demonstrate to Mike exactly what has been going on.

Now my profile "derosnec" is banned?  Yes it is.  Happened just moments ago.

You folks cannot take criticism.  Justified criticism.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:19 PM

• I now find this thread has been moved to  Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here).

FYI---My team is cleaning up the Suggestions and Feedback forums and this topic was moved by mistake.  I have moved it back to suggestions and feedback but I am amazed at what has transpired out of this conversation on that thread/  Wow.............

I will ask my team to make sure not to move items with anything pertaining to forums.

I will also be doing some cleanup on that thread!

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:19 PM

• And in passing, I'll tell you how that final post of the thread finally stuck.

My unspoken deal with Ronnie was that I went back and deleted approx 500 of my previous posts.  Admittedly, many of which were critical.  But many which were very helpful.

This is not the first time I've deleted about 500 posts' history, just to get one post to stick.

Yeh, that's how it works around here in this forum.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:21 PM

• And in passing, I'll tell you how that final post of the thread finally stuck.

My unspoken deal with Ronnie was that I went back and deleted approx 500 of my previous posts.  Admittedly, many of which were critical.  But many which were very helpful.

This is not the first time I've deleted about 500 posts' history, just to get one post to stick.

Yeh, that's how it works around here in this forum.

Hi Nameless Profile--

While it seems like there has been some interesting conversations in the forums, would it be possible to hear your feedback without publically scrutinizing, offending, or putting down other people?  I am happy to receive it at learnmgr@microsoft.com.  We are all ears here but I can honestly say that I don't like the behaviors I see going on.  It's completely against what these forums are intended for.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:26 PM

• Perhaps I do perceive things incorrectly.  It is possible.

I will contact you at learnmgr@microsoft.com.  Thank you.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Sorry. I guess I missed this thread. I believe Alicia has taken care of this thread. I'll follow-up with her on this

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:46 AM

• Hi Nameless Profile--

...would it be possible to hear your feedback... at learnmgr@microsoft.com.  We are all ears here...

Thanks!
    Alicia

I feel foolish having waited eagerly for your reply to my email.

Please review this thread:  Windows Anytime Upgrade.  I feel I am being harassed by a moderator there.

It currently contains 5 posts, including the initial topic post.  Your thoughts?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:55 AM

• Now I find my thread above Windows Anytime Upgrade expressing concern that my OEM Vista 32bit is ineligible for the widely publicized Windows7 (64bit) upgrade has been moved from the Windows7 forum to the Windows Vista Migration forum.  

Please find it dismissed and buried there.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:53 AM

• Hmya, that's very sad.  That started out as a very good thread until you started trolling it.  You owe Mr. Clement a big apology.

Hans Passant.

Hans, please see this thread:   Access deny on c drive and all aministrator apps

That is the kind of thing I was referring to, in total agreement with Mr. Clement.

Both of these are from this morning alone.

I really feel you misunderstood my intent.

Here is a slightly more involved example:  Saving files in the same location from Internet Explorer 8 (IE)

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:07 AM

• No response.  Nothing?

My banned profile that originated this thread still has not been reinstated:   "derosnec%u200c".    Will somebody kindly fix that?

Hans, here is further explanation why I reacted as I did to Mike's reply in Mr. Clement's thread.

Perhaps you have not yet made the connection that I am the OP of this thread: corrupted profile.  As you know, my earlier user profile has been out-of-commission since April.  It was banned as result.  But there is a history to that banning.  At that time, I was getting red-boxed and deleted persistently.  I felt stalked and posted an objection.  The reply I got accused me of stalking and falsifying my identity.  Quite offended, I bundled that into a response.  Here, take a look:  To: Carey Frisch .  Notice it now resides in Off Topic Posts Forum.  Notice who moved it there.

Friday, July 17, 2009 3:03 PM

• The following post has been deleted.  It is my reply to A licensing question

Greetings.  I have been given a two year old HP unit which came with Vista Premium.  I have since been running Windows 7RC and would like to install the retail upgrade version when it does come out.

Question(s):

Will I be able to use the OEM COA on the retail upgrade?  I realize I may be able to order the upgrade from HP but would rather not since these recovery cd's are bundled with useless software (to me).  I say "may be" as the unit is two years old and out of warranty.

Am I stuck with either going through the HP route or buying a full version?

Many thanks for your input.

Mitch

I do not believe there is an HP route.

This weekend I spoke by voice with HP Tech Support regarding this very subject.  Again this morning I conversed online with HP Tech Support.  Unlike your two year old system, I have a much newer one that is still has warranty status.  It came with factory installed Vista H.P. 32bit, although 64bit was optional.  Here's what I was told:

- HP will not supply Vista 64bit  (or any other O/S for that matter).  Not for free.  Not for nominal fee as a Recovery Disk.  Not even for full retail price.

- They will not support the changed O/S should you purchase the MS retail-boxed version.  Doing so will reduce or invalidate any existing warranty.

- I was urged on the phone to not install Vista SP2.  Since I already have, it should be reverted back to Vista SP1.  Like remarks about Win7.

Regarding eligibility to upgrade the existing HP OEM Vista to Windows 7, HP referred me to their website article  The Windows® 7 Upgrade Option Program from HP © .  Of course it doesn't say.  It just repeats their position stated above:  "Please Note: HP does not support Beta or test versions of Windows® 7. Please visit Microsoft non-HP site regarding support for these versions".

So there you have it.  Since you are not concerned with HP warranty or support, the answer to your question is maybe.  My inquiries in this forum got dodged, flamed, deleted, locked, and even displaced to Windows Vista Migration forum.  But maybe you will have better luck getting a definitive answer.

Try it and see.

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:10 PM

• OEM licensing issues / upgrades

Now my concern is fact.  The 32bit Vista version comes with only a 32bit Win7 upgrade coupon.  Not Full.  Not both 32bit plus 64bit.

Yet look at the single only (locked) reply marked answer   .  Complete evasion.

Would you call that smug lip-service?

Would you call that slammed shut?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:35 AM
  • My banned profile that originated this thread still has not been reinstated:   "derosnec%u200c".    Will somebody kindly fix that?
    derosnec,

Your profile will NOT be reinstated. We told you on numerous occasions that:

1. Your conduct is unprofessional.
    2. You constantly troll the forums and steer topics off track.
    3. You keep creating profiles that include HTML hacks (such as the aforementioned "derosnec%u200c").We will continue to ban all of your user names where you do not conduct yourself appropriately.
    You do not even take the hints from other posters that your comments and way of conducting yourself is not professional. Contrary to what you claim, you are not banned because of negative comments - you are banned because of your conduct and constant violation of rules.

Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums, Windows Client Forum Owner
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:52 PM

• Anthony, u200c is a unicode blank, so my name "derosnec" would appear as before.  You are just distorting facts and baiting me.

This thread  Licence OEM locked  is a member's protest of  OEM licensing issues / upgrades  being smugly slammed shut (censored).

Others are noticing and objecting too.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I am not going to get into a debate with you. The simple fact is that I have overall responsibility for the health of the Windows Client forums on TechNet and you constantly jeopardize that. I am not baiting you. I am simply telling you that your conduct repeatedly is unprofessional and will not be tolerated. Based on your response, it is clear that you will not change your conduct and that you seem to want to spark controversy. Again, this will not be tolerated.
    Windows Client IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums, Windows Client Forum Owner
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:40 PM

• Anthony, you have not addressed a single statement in this thread.  You are deliberately distorting facts and changing the subject.

Your strategy is called a red herring.

Disinformation
    "Another technique of concealing facts, or censorship, is also used if the group can effect such control. When channels of information cannot be completely closed, they can be rendered useless by filling them with disinformation, effectively lowering their signal-to-noise ratio and discrediting the opposition by association with a lot of easily-disproved false claims."

Ironically, Anthony, you misperceive your diligent members here as your opponents.  In the examples above where I am the OP, all I was trying to do was get straight licensing information to upgrade OEM Vista 32bit.  But all I encountered for weeks in this forum was a runaround, censorship and disinformation.

In the other examples here, it is plainly obvious    what happened.

That
    is the topic of this thread.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:52 PM

• Anthony_Mann said:

...this will not be tolerated.

Banned
    again.  Twice in one thread !  That will teach me for complaining about censorship.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:59 PM

• Banned again!

See this thread:  Free copy of Windows 7 to INVITED Windows Technical Beta Program Users

I just protested a submission where this obnoxious blowhard gloats about getting a free Win7 copy.

The moderators apparently sponsor this kind of thing.  There are 2 different takes, both which got deleted repeatedly.

Which do you like best?

I, for one, am so glad to hear this!! For a while the Windows 7 Build Team was telling us we were not going to get RTM, like we did after testing Vista.  For us Invitees this is certainly nice news.

2 thumbs up & THANKS!!
    Drew MS Partner Pres. Computer Issues

Me personally, I'm not even a has-been, a nobody.  To be that, you'd need to have once been a somebody.

Sigh.

I, for one, am a compulsive liar.  Every word I speak is false, including this sentence.

So, what's your deal, President Drew?  Why do you feel compelled to demoralize everybody else with your superiority?

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Friday, July 31, 2009 9:38 PM

• Now my posts have just been deleted from vista sidebar vs 7 sidebar

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:04 AM

Drew, you are totally oblivious to the benefit of Vista SideBar.

It is a very excellent thing for Wide-Screen monitors.  It can optionally be set to always occupy the right side of the screen.  Then, gadgets are always visible there, no matter what.  You can even "page" it if you have many gadgets.  When Vista SideBar is set always-on-top, only the remainder of the screen is available to the Windows Desktop.  That means if you maximize an app window, it will never obstruct the Vista SideBar.  Never obstruct it.  Yet you can also place gadgets onto the Vista Desktop if you want.  In that sense, Vista provides the same capability as Win7.  Said the other way, Win7 only provides a reduced gadget capability that is not nearly as versatile as Vista.

Here's the link I posted above, before you rudely drowned it out with your numerous posts.  I believe it describes a very simple Registry Hack to enable the Vista SideBar functionality in Windows7.  I hope it makes some people happy.  I haven't personally tried it because I'm sticking with Vista for now.

See  Zeus' Vista SideBar Registry Hack

Regarding Quick Launch (which I also like), here's Ronnie's method to re-enable it.  I believe it is derived from The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets (#13), but explained and illustrated very nicely.

Well excuse me for being helpful.  Excuse me for defending Vista.  That's blasphemy?

Friday, July 31, 2009 9:55 PM

• Imbedded objects in Live Mail

Here's an example of a post being marked   Answer   contrary to both the OP's and another participant's vote.  Both chose a different post.  Namely mine.

It speaks for itself.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:52 AM
  • egads  (and anyone else who cares to read this) -

I proposed your post as answer well after Ronnie marked Vistaline's as the answer - and after the OP posted that your answer better fit what he was trying to do. Hey.. Who am I to argue with the OP... 

Don't take that too personally though... I have a feeling that once the green check mark is on a post, it's generally NOT given a 2nd glance by the powers that be or to many others for that matter - especially when there are far too many posts with red question marks that need closure. Me - I try and read every post. Never hurts to read and expand your knowledge...
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:55 AM

• Imbedded objects in Live Mail

Here's an example of a post being marked   Answer   contrary to both the OP's and another participant's vote.  Both chose a different post.  Namely mine.

4:17 AM   OP original post
      4:36 AM   derosnec reply to OP with correct answer
      5:17 AM   vistaline reply off target, but proposed answer
      6:23 AM   derosnec politely explains OP's post to vistaline
    --8:36 AM   RV.MVP marks vistaline answer, even tho derosnec replied first, correctly, explained vistaline wrong, AND, before OP has responded
     12:43 PM   OP indicates derosnec was correct

It speaks for itself.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:31 AM

• Wolfie, regarding this Drew character, over whose gloating unsolicited testimonial I was banned twice yesterday:

Just look at what he was busy doing during this whole event.  He went back to his month-old embarassingly wrong wannabe post and proposed it as answer.  In effect, he was even contradicting KB.MVP, who had already shot that post down.  Take a look at Drew's profile:

Drew1903 has marked a proposed answer to the question Upgrade from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7 ok? in the Windows 7 Miscellaneous forum.
    Saved 12 hours and 57 minutes ago.

There's more to say, but the point here is, why are the W7 MVPs sponsoring this guy?  What gives?

Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:17 AM
  • egads -

You can add:

12:49 PM Wolfie2k6 proposes derosnec answer as correct

That's about the only thing missing from the complete timeline of that post.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you... But for what it's worth - I've seen it where I know I gave the right answer to someone and someone else's post got marked as the correct answer. I put it down as maybe I didn't phrase something as eloquently, or didn't provide a crucial link or something.

Better question - why didn't the OP correct the situation? The OP also has the power to mark answers AND unmark or unpropose answers.

I know that if I was in the OP's shoes, I sure as heck would have. But then again, I've been around these forums for a bit over 3 years and understand how they work.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:25 PM
  • egads -

After reading that post - I do believe that KB, MVP was arguing with Sanmartin regarding Sanmartin's claim that 64 bit was more stable, not Drew's post.

I think tho, that Drew is simply tooting his own horn when he proposes his own answers as THE answer. Eh... whatever. I know that when I post something, I've done my personal best to answer the guy as clearly as possible. If I get marked as correct, I'm happy.. If not, I try not to take it personally. There's plenty of posts out there that need to be answered. I move on and answer the next guy.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:33 PM
  • egads -

You can add:

12:49 PM Wolfie2k6 proposes derosnec answer as correct

That's about the only thing missing from the complete timeline of that post.

Imbedded objects in Live Mail

4:17 AM   OP original post
      4:36 AM   derosnec reply to OP with correct answer
      5:17 AM   vistaline reply off target, but proposed answer
      6:23 AM   derosnec politely explains OP's post to vistaline
    --8:36 AM   RV.MVP marks vistaline answer, even tho derosnec replied first, correctly, explained vistaline wrong, AND, before OP has responded
     12:43 PM   OP indicates derosnec was correct
     12:49 PM   Wolfie2k6 proposes derosnec answer as correct

Actually Wolfie, I never did thank you for that overriding vote.  It was unlike you to be so rebellious.  Thanks!

Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:45 AM
  • egads -

You're welcome. I don't necessarily call it being rebellious. I called it like I saw it...

Still doesn't answer the other burning question... Why didn't the OP mark your answer correct. It's as plain as day on any thread you create - Mark as correct answer is right there next to Reply and Quote.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:12 AM
  • egads -

After reading that post - I do believe that KB, MVP was arguing with Sanmartin regarding Sanmartin's claim that 64 bit was more stable, not Drew's post.

I think tho, that Drew is simply tooting his own horn when he proposes his own answers as THE answer. Eh... whatever. I know that when I post something, I've done my personal best to answer the guy as clearly as possible. If I get marked as correct, I'm happy.. If not, I try not to take it personally. There's plenty of posts out there that need to be answered. I move on and answer the next guy.

KB.MVP said:  "I'm not trying to start an argument... I'm against FUD period... 64 bit Windows can directly address more RAM than 32 bit Windows. This is a fact... Other things like system stablility, performance increases, etc. vary greatly between systems. No one can absolutely say... I won't answer any more posts in this thread."

Wolfie, this was a searing refutation of Drew's unfounded authority.  Is there any other way to read it?

But you see Wolfie, injecting these tangential subjects here serves only to distract from the original topic.  That strategy was mentioned above.

The topic of this thread is:  Moderator discourtesy and censorship.  I was banned twice yesterday.

That happened because I protested a gloating post that was causing animosity and division among TechNet W7 members.  The reason that post was retained in the prominent Sticky Thread was it  seemed  to be an Unsolicited Testimonial which  proved  some beta-testers will actually receive a free Win7 copy.  There's a word for that too.  Propaganda.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:45 AM
  • egads -

The post you quoted from KB, MVP is 6 posts down from Drew's one and only post on that thread. The paragraph above the one quoted seems (at least, to me) as a direct rebuttal to the post directly above it. It's a bit ambiguous, I suppose. It's a flaw, if you will, of the flat view. You have no clue as to who is responding to whom unless it's directly addressed to the person - which is why I do that on all my posts.

Now as far as being "banned" - do you mean you had a post deleted or something else? Seems to me if you were truly banned from posting, you wouldn't be able to post here either. I could be wrong on that.

As far as that entire thread - I kinda figure it was a bit of a mistake to post it in the first place. I mean the whole thread - not just Drew or anyone else's responses to it. Given Microsoft knows who those people are, they could have handled the entire shebang privately, without any sort of fanfare. Why? It bred resentment. Note the post by Anthony with regards to deleting KevPan's posts because he used abusive language in demanding a free copy too. Even your reaction to Drew's post (gloating or otherwise) was one of resentment. Utterly unnecessary.

As far as I'm concerned, I can care less if they do get a freebie or not. It's not my business. They're getting one - GOOD for them. I seem to be one of the few people who FULLY read the terms of the public beta test for comprehension. If more people bothered to do so, there might be fewer posts asking the same questions about upgrading to RTM from the RC, getting free copies, and other stuff that was clearly outlined right from the start. As such, I'm not expecting a freebie, and I'm fully aware that when my Win 7 Pro upgrade shows up, I'm going to have to back up my data, and do a full nuke an pave to get the RTM code installed. 

Some of the post truly amaze (and amuse) me. Like the one that considers doing a clean install to be "torture"... Oh my.. Maybe the CIA really needs to look into that next time they've got some prisoners they need to drill for information.

But I digress. The point is - there are a lot of people out there who aren't maybe the most polite. Nor, perhaps the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to following instructions. You don't really want to take things too personally around here. Having your blood pressure go through the roof over someone's posts just isn't worth it.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:11 AM
  • egads -

Now as far as being "banned"...

But I digress. The point is -

As far as being banned, Wolfie, you haven't bothered to read this very thread.  Nor have you clicked my thread profiles.  Plural.  You will discover 2, 3, maybe 4 different profiles right here alone.  None of them are named "egads".  You really don't know about it?  You must be jesting.

But you see Wolfie, I know what your point is.  Injecting these tangential subjects here serves only to distract from the original topic.  Your posts here aim to discredit mine.  That strategy was mentioned above.  You just posted that wall-of-text to bury my preceding post, which contained the word Propaganda.

It is also clear from your Night Before Christmas Win7-RC composition exactly why you would seek to suppress my posts and discredit me.

The topic of this thread is:  Moderator discourtesy and censorship.  I was banned twice yesterday alone.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:01 AM
  • egads -

Ok.. I'm guessing the confusion comes around because all of your accounts have the same name. That's the only reason why I bothered asking... You're right - I didn't bother checking your profile. Why would I want to - it's the same name as the previous one.. Kinda hard to tell. Maybe if you numbered them. Eh.. Whatever..

Your paranoia seems to be running rampant... But then again, it may not be entirely unjustified. Just because someone's paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get them. You DO seem to go out of your way to attract a lot of what you reap.

The thing is - I'm not the one out to get you. If you post something useful, I'm more than happy to give credit where it's due. Evidence of that is the fact I proposed YOUR response as the answer. I could have just ignored the entire post and moved on... But I thought I'd do the right thing. I guess it's true - no good deed goes unpunished.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 7:25 AM
  • egads -

Ok.. I'm guessing the confusion comes around because all of your accounts have the same name. That's the only reason why I bothered asking... You're right - I didn't bother checking your profile. Why would I want to - it's the same name as the previous one.. Kinda hard to tell. Maybe if you numbered them. Eh.. Whatever..

Your paranoia seems to be running rampant... But then again, it may not be entirely unjustified. Just because someone's paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get them. You DO seem to go out of your way to attract a lot of what you reap.

The thing is - I'm not the one out to get you. If you post something useful, I'm more than happy to give credit where it's due. Evidence of that is the fact I proposed YOUR response as the answer. I could have just ignored the entire post and moved on... But I thought I'd do the right thing. I guess it's true - no good deed goes unpunished.

I aready said thank you.

In the meantime, the topic of this thread is:  Moderator discourtesy and censorship.  I was banned twice yesterday alone.  What for?  For heckling a gloating post that had every appearance of being propaganda yet served little else except to provoke animosity.  And effectively, every reply I've gotten to this thread has served only to diffuse and discredit it. The reference above to paranioa is a classic example of the methods of disinformation and censorship.  Classic.  And predictable.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:42 AM

• Anthony_Mann said
    :

Your profile will NOT be reinstated... Contrary to what you claim, you are not banned because of negative comments - you are banned because of your conduct and constant violation of rules.

Wolfie2k6 said
    :
    As seen on the news today, the prices are finally available. In the US, it seems to be $130 from Win 7 Pro to Win 7 Ultimate. If you're in the EU, the price will be €135/£85.

derosnec said:
    Here is the news of days past  (namely, Feb 3rd)  that made "aggressive price points" a household phrase.

Anthony, why was my post just deleted from Windows 7 Anytime upgrade question?  It merely echoed the one-and-same ZDNET article that Wolfie posted here a few months ago.  Wolfie loves to post info from ZDNET, just like above.  In fact, he made repeated references to "aggressive pricing" then.  It was ok when it seemed positive, wasn't it Anthony?  But yesterday, it was not so flattering anymore... you might even say I made a negative comment.

Of course not, Anthony.  Censorship and banning have nothing to do with negative commentsNothing at all.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:15 PM

• Anthony_Mann said
    :

Your profile will NOT be reinstated... Contrary to what you claim, you are not banned because of negative comments - you are banned because of your conduct and constant violation of rules.

Anthony, why was my post (below) deleted twice from Vista vs win 7 search just now?  It only survived a few minutes.  Yes, it is a criticism.

If I keep resubmitting it, will I get banned again?

OP said:

My biggest problem with Vista is the search. -- it is the pits.  Is Windows 7 going to fix the search problem?  If not, I don't want to know anymore about it.

derosnec said:

I find the Vista Search preferable to Win7's.  For example, Vista offers an Extended Search option.  That provision is omitted from Win7.  Either way, there is plenty of criticism in these forums about how unintuitive and cryptic Search is.  Here's just one example:  How to do a simple search in Windows 7???

Monday, August 3, 2009 12:28 AM

• Banned again.

I didn't resubmit that post any further, yet now I've signed in 7 hours later to find myself banned again.

I guess criticism = conduct violation.  Is that what you mean, Anthony?

Monday, August 3, 2009 7:42 AM

• search on a local drive difficult

Due to a forum bug, an inactive member appeared in the Active List just moments ago.  Raising my curiosity, I took a look at his most recent post.  It very coincidentally was on this very same topic of Windows7 Search.  The essence of that 3-sentence post is a rather unforgiving criticism:

"For something that should not require attention, and should be intuitive, SEARCH has severely missed the mark."

That post was marked by MSFT as Answer  

So, Anthony_Mann, why do I get banned for merely stating I prefer Vista Search?

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:20 AM

• Wolfie2k6 and RV.MVP, you two need to review the dynamics of this moved thread:  network card error

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:03 PM

• Would the Vista OEM-version hardware restrictions still apply...?

Why is my post (below) being repeatedly deleted?  Without even the courtesy of explaining why.

Is it because the published Microsoft information is incorrect?  More likely, because it contradicts CF.MVP's opinion?

What is the cause for this censorship?

If I were to upgrade my OEM version of Vista with a retail upgrade version of Windows 7 when it releases, would the OEM hardware restrictions still apply?

You can upgrade any internal hardware component you desire except for the motherboard.
    Carey Frisch

Ah, so then I will need to purchase a full non-OEM version of Windows 7 if I wish to replace the motherboard?

Can I upgrade my motherboard before I upgrade to Windows 7 using a retail upgrade version, or do I have to wait until I have upgraded to Win 7?

According to page 13 of White Paper: Microsoft’s Software Protection Platform: Innovations for Windows Vista and Windows Server “Longhorn”, if a major component change is detected, then re-activation must be performed within 3 days.  Else Windows might drop into Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM).  Notice the case of swapping-out to a non-OEM motherboard is explicitly discussed:

A copy of Windows Vista can go into RFM under two scenarios. First, if any of the following events occurs for the given license type:
    • Retail user (or corporate user with MAK):
    – Failure to activate within the grace period (i.e., 30 days after installation)
    – Failure to renew activation within three days of a major hardware replacement
    • OEM user (or corporate user with OEM-sourced activated image, i.e. non-volume license bits):
    – Failure to activate within three days of switch to non-OEM motherboard
    • Corporate or enterprise user using KMS:
    – Failure to activate with KMS within 30 days of installation
    – Failure to renew activation with KMS within 210 days of previous activation
    – Failure to renew activation with KMS within 30 days of hard drive replacement

So it is clearly published that major hardware changes, including OEM motherboards is permitted.

Since Vista, Windows records certain things about your system for Genuine Advantage/Athentication purposes.  If you have an OEM board, then information from the BIOS is recorded.  If you have a generic board, it is somewhat more difficult to qualify the board.  Either way, if that abruptly changes, it might trigger the condition that you must re-activate.  That's all.

Genuine Microsoft Software FAQ gives an itemized list of the things that get recorded.  (see Information collected during validation section) :

Computer make and model
    Version information for the operating system and software using Genuine Advantage
    Region and language setting
    A unique number assigned to your computer by the tools (Globally Unique Identifier or GUID)
    Product ID and product key
    BIOS name, revision number, and revision date
    Volume serial number
    Office product key (if validating Office)

See also
     Windows License, CD for computer repair  for a discussion about the OEM System Builder's License.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:50 PM

• More harassment from a MVP in this thread:  Get rid of "Propose as Answer".  I think I deserve an apology.

Sunday, August 9, 2009 6:21 PM

• More harassment in this thread:  Forum Brand Confusion.   I believe I'm being stalked by a red-box troll.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:11 PM

• Banned again!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:13 PM

• Lip service.  EvangelismChastisement.   I am a naive fool to have hoped for anything different.  I guess I just had to see it for myself.

Maybe I'm done now.  Maybe I've finally said my peace.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:23 PM

• Why does the following post keep getting deleted from Windows 7 - An improvement?

I will keep submitting it until I either get an explanation or I'm banned again.

central_texan said:

I had heard that Windows 7 was developed with XP as a base.
    I was really looking forward to geting a newer OS that was easily managed. It wasn't! I paid the price and downloaded the RC version and have spent over 40 hours attempting to connect to a simple, home, XP network. Seven has the same inherent roadblocks as Vista.

Online and F1 help is catch-as-catch-can. No definite fixes for problems, just 'Try this, it worked for me.'. Oh well, another week shot to you know where. Microsoft is going to have to extend support for XP until they have the sense to develop an OS that is easily manageable for the average user. I have been using PC's as long as there have been PC's and M$ has done nothing to top XP. Why can't they see that. I saw a statistic that 73% of all Vista computers have been downgraded to XP. I've even done about a dozen for my customers. WAKE UP MICROSOFT!

This will probably never see daylight on the forums because, like the Obama blitz, M$ doesn't like the bad press.
    I've had my say anyway, and will now go back to XP and try to keep my customers productive.

central_texan

derosnec said:

You guys missed Tex's point.

He's frustrated with useless lip-service support.

So he gave you a sample of that info.

Just to irritate you.

Equally.

No doubt, if Tex could've gotten Win7 running (or even Vista), he'd have loved it.

It is important for Microsoft to hear his story about why he gave up.

Please see my opinion here.

Look, whoever you are that's deleting my post.  Explain just what problem you have with it in that other thread.  Maybe I can tune my wording to better suit you?  Just answer me, then we can stop this foolishness.

Friday, August 14, 2009 7:18 AM
  • What happens if you use "Report As Abuse" on a Moderator's post?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:02 AM
  • What happens if you use "Report As Abuse" on a Moderator's post?

I already tried that. So far nothing but I wouldn't make it habitual.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:14 AM

• Mr. Seven, in the case above, I think the reason I was being persistently deleted was for using the phrase useless lip-service support.

I was actually referring to googling in desperation.  The moderator was apparently sensitive to it possibly criticising MS...

Here's a little exchange of ours which just occurred, from thread Restore Points.   I think the criticism is well justified.

derosnec replied:

I always get confused by the difference between Restore Point and Shadow Copy  (which is not available in Vista HP: "Shadow copies of volumes and shared folders are configured from the server. You can set up shadow copies for all editions of this version of Windows except Starter Edition, Home Basic Edition, and Home Premium Edition.").

You might try clicking the link Event Log Online Help that appears at the bottom of the Event Viewer page to get more information.

Mr. Seven replied
    :

derosnec replied
    :

Your example is better than mine.

Click the links and judge for yourself.

Many times in the past, I've brought up the topic of documentation, only to be chastised and/or deleted.  I've been subjected to choirboy heckling like suggesting I read Windows for Dummies.  That, the moderator(s) did not find inappropriate.  Yet my pushing the topic leads to banning.

That's how it works here.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Wow dont want to put myself into this but i didnt notice what was going on here i mean some serious problem LOL!!!

Persistant kind of thing im just speechless *_*

never seem anything like that in terms of criticizing !!
    anyways Im out
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:10 AM

• Curious kat:  Thank you for your vote of approval.   (I think).

You will notice my original post there (quoted by Doc S) has been deleted, so everything else said relating to it seems out of context.  My original post, as you will recall, immediately preceded Drew's, which seemed to be a deliberately snide self-Proposed Answer.  The moderators seem to like distorting things.

Here is my offending post which Drew stomped and then some moderator deleted:

I will honestly say I feel uncertain about this subject, as even the most legitimate vendors seem to be giving mixed messages.

See  http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/registry_cleaner_why.htm

(Credit to Doc S. posted above)

Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:58 AM
  • LOL hahaha ,
    you funny man plz im not offending you im saying you funny not in a bad way (PLEASEEE NOOOO IM NOT OFFENDING PLEASEEE jks :)),i remember that topic and didnt realized your post got removed lol, i just wont mess with the mods tho hehe,i think they like me besides the fact i keep bugging them with useless questions for this forum but i got to ask what i need to know ,theres nowhere else i can ask...
    but just one thing as advice for you man,see i really dont think you a bad guy but why dont you forget about everything "done" for ya like stop asking why things happened ,dust youself off and start all over again and prove them ur conduct is just fine( i just think you got into an endless looping and unecessary discussion which will not contribute with nothing for you and for them neither)!!!
    i know its a bad thing asking ppls age but would you mind to say urs(just for my records nothing out of ordinary)?
    So the conclusion is : this is going to no where like that,  so the only way to convince the Mods that you a good guy and you were misinterpreted is to change your behavior here and show them you can cooperate with some intresting help instead of trying in that way fighting back etc...
    Again dont take it as an offense just as a friendly advice besides my limited english(long time dont practice it ,feel rusty hehe)!!!
    Keep ur head up show the real YOU(OHH so sensitive ^^)
    Kind regards,
    RR
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:35 AM
  • . . . The moderators seem to like distorting things.

In all fairness, I don't think it's all the moderators.  It is just certain ones.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:41 AM

• At this moment, CF.MVP is at the top of Recent Moderator list for  Have Comments about Windows 7?

Why was my post repeatedly deleted here?

I'll reduce it to this:  Some of the posts here diminish their own credibility.

I'll add
    :  Sometimes people complain about a product's merit when they are actually objecting to treatment and policy.  Being censored, as example.

However, just now RV.MVP has made two posts to that same forum.  Which finger should I point?

Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:54 PM

• That red-box occurred while I re-edited, adding the single, final sentence.

Red-Box Troll
    :  I'd be glad to delete both these posts, if you'd just explain the reason you were deleting my post (explained above).

Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:30 PM

• Of course you will not reply, coward. 

You are just pitting members against each other on that page.  For what, marketing purposes?  One post makes the smear about Gates/MS bashing.  Another retorts about paid testimonials.

You should be ashamed to be sponsoring that.  It's scum.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:43 PM

• It took 30 days, but finally the first posts here are red-boxed.  Is there any way to tell who Red Boxed a post?

Did somebody just lose control of their finger?  Or was reference to  paid testimonials  just too much:

papagallo said:

It seems to me that some people posting here are payed by Microsoft to write very positive about Win 7.

Monday, August 17, 2009 8:48 AM
  • for professional reasons and microsoft confidentiality, i believe that finding the "mark as abuse terrorist " will not be brought to justice for all the members to know of.
    i hope this is only for the members, and microsoft will look into this as a top priority, confronting someone that marks a post as abuse.

with 6 helpful marks for your original post derosnec, i do not see how someone could consider terrorizing the entire thread.
    you are one tough cookie to deal with derosnec.. glad it is not me you are dealing with.

i am too busy helping with other threads to read the entire post, but the red neon turned me into a moth heading for the light.
    trujade..

i like: VB General  google  fast cars  username password
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:59 PM
  • LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is a hilarious thing right there....
    Oh btw almost clicked on the button accidentally lol
    Regards,
    RR
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:44 AM
  • I just noticed.  This is now a STAR thread, whatever that means.

Deronsec, you are REALLY getting picked on.  Some people just can't take criticism.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:59 AM