none
HTML DEL tag pair is always escaped - So I'm Testing this behavior in a new message

Question

• Hello World <del>I want to delete this text, it is obsolete</del> Goodbye World

EDIT: Okay, now I have reproduced the issue in a new post. Why, For The Love Of God, Why, do the forums escape my standard HTML DEL tag pair?

The funny part of the matter is that the "preview" of my message displays properly showing the text has been struck through like it is supposed to be but the final post is escaped. Why? bold works,emphasis works<del>strike gets escaped in final post but not preview</del>

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• You might try the HTML editor or putting it in a code block.

You can also test post in sandbox forum here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=tnsandbox

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Using the HTML edit mode is actually how I put the <strong></strong> and <em></em> tag pairs in my last message (but they can be put in using the graphical menu icons also which you probably assumed I used). It doesn't work for the <del></del> tag pairs on these forums. Or maybe it does and there's something special about my computer or setup. So, any feedback from others is much appreciated.

Maybe in your next response you can show me that I'm wrong with some struck through text? :)

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Something here might help.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/forumninjas/getting-the-best-out-of-your-forum-signature/

It is also possible a limitation of the forums reply editor.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:40 PM
  • This Wiki article shows how to strike out text in a forum post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19240.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-strikeout-text-in-your-post.aspx

Edit: For example, hello world can become hello world!!

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:47 PM
  • Thank you very much. Can you speak about whether or not this is a security issue? It's interesting that this tag pair (<DEL></DEL>)requires special knowledge to use.
    Monday, December 5, 2016 9:24 PM
  • It sure seems like those tags, plus the <strike> </strike> tags, are purposely converted, but I don't know. Someone claimed that <del></del> is deprecated and no longer supported. That could be an explanation, as < and > characters will be converted to &lt; and &gt; in the HTML if they are not recognized as part of  a tag. Except <del> works in the editor before you submit, so I think code is more likely removing the tags. I don't know about a security issue though.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, December 5, 2016 9:45 PM