WHS: new shared folder in the wrong location RRS feed

• Question

• Using WHS, whenever I now create a new shared folder it shows up as \\homserver\newfolder instead of the \\homeserver\users\newfolder

A) Why is this

B) How do i fix it?

I thought perhaps I had reached my limit of 10 users, but I have not, currently there 9

HELP?!

Friday, October 8, 2010 12:02 AM

Answers

• The only folders created within \\server\users are individual folders for individual users. Other shares are created separately. So A) it's by design, and B) you don't. A workaround is to create a single share, then create folders by hand within that share. If you don't mind everyone having the same access to all the folders you create, that's pretty easy and will be functional. If you want different users to have access to different shares, the shares have to be separate, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by jharan Friday, October 8, 2010 12:22 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Ken

I was just adding a folder, not a new user which inturn creates the shared folder during the creation process.

Doh!

Friday, October 8, 2010 12:22 AM

All replies

• The only folders created within \\server\users are individual folders for individual users. Other shares are created separately. So A) it's by design, and B) you don't. A workaround is to create a single share, then create folders by hand within that share. If you don't mind everyone having the same access to all the folders you create, that's pretty easy and will be functional. If you want different users to have access to different shares, the shares have to be separate, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Ken

I was just adding a folder, not a new user which inturn creates the shared folder during the creation process.

Doh!

Friday, October 8, 2010 12:22 AM