New HP EX485 stuck at 14% installing updates during initial setup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I got today my new HP EX-485 and I connected it to the router and started the WHS Setup program from my Vista machine.  The setup asked for the password and also server name which I changed from HPSERVER to SERVER.  Then the setup went to install updates and showed the "Installing updates on your home server... 0% complete" window.  The percent increased until 14% and then stopped.  It has been more than an hour and it still at 14%.  The server shows in the network as HPSERVER.  The WHS Console was installed and it runs correctly.  I can connect to the server using the password I used on the WHS Setup. 

At this point I don't know if I should stop the WHS Setup and try to restart it.  Can I just re-start the WHS Setup program?  Do I need to run it? Or I can just use the WHS Console to setup my shares and users?  The password was set up correctly so that part of the first setup was completed but the name change did not: I don't know if this will make the setup fail if I try again.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
    Patricio.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:31 AM

Answers

• Patricio Vidal said:

Hello kariya21,

Yes, I launched the program that came with the HP unit.  The windows title is "Windows Home Server Setup".  I will wait until tomorrow morning and see if anything changes (Olaf mentioned on another post that it could be installing something through the network).  I have a 8MB adsl and a 1GB D-Link router that shows the HPSERVER connected so I assume that it has internet connectivity.

I the setup is still at 14% tomorrow I gues I will stop it I try to run it again. 

Thank you,
    Patricio.

Hi,

When you configured your setup, you selected to automatically update the server, correct? The next time you try to install, do not select 'automatically update' and then run through the setup process. This should prevent setup from hanging at 14%. Once you've completed setup, you can then configure HP and Windows Update to automatically update through the console.

I hit this doing a server reinstall not to long ago and the only way to fix it was to bypass the updates until I'd finished the reinstall process. I don't think it was the connector software that was hanging but a problem on the update server.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Hello Lara,

Yes, I selected to automatically update the server. 

This morning, after 8 hours, I had a window indicating that the setup was completed successfully and after that it went to the console.  The server name changed to SERVER and everything seems ok.  I don't know how long it took to get to there, but for sure it was more than 2 hours.

Now I'm just happy that it went through, and now I'm ready to start configuring it.

Thank you,
    Patricio.
    • Marked as answer by Patricio Vidal Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:28 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:27 PM

All replies

• Patricio Vidal said:

Hello,

I got today my new HP EX-485 and I connected it to the router and started the WHS Setup program from my Vista machine.  The setup asked for the password and also server name which I changed from HPSERVER to SERVER.  Then the setup went to install updates and showed the "Installing updates on your home server... 0% complete" window.  The percent increased until 14% and then stopped.  It has been more than an hour and it still at 14%.  The server shows in the network as HPSERVER.  The WHS Console was installed and it runs correctly.  I can connect to the server using the password I used on the WHS Setup. 

At this point I don't know if I should stop the WHS Setup and try to restart it.  Can I just re-start the WHS Setup program?

I assume you mean the HP install files.  I'm guessing you can, but you should contact HP support.

Patricio Vidal said:

Do I need to run it?

If you don't, you can't create users and change permissions on the server.

Patricio Vidal said: Or I can just use the WHS Console to setup my shares and users?

Yes, that is what you need to use.

Patricio Vidal said:

The password was set up correctly so that part of the first setup was completed but the name change did not: I don't know if this will make the setup fail if I try again.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
    Patricio.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Hello kariya21,

Yes, I launched the program that came with the HP unit.  The windows title is "Windows Home Server Setup".  I will wait until tomorrow morning and see if anything changes (Olaf mentioned on another post that it could be installing something through the network).  I have a 8MB adsl and a 1GB D-Link router that shows the HPSERVER connected so I assume that it has internet connectivity.

I the setup is still at 14% tomorrow I gues I will stop it I try to run it again. 

Thank you,
    Patricio.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Patricio Vidal said:

Hello kariya21,

Thank you,
    Patricio.

Hi,

When you configured your setup, you selected to automatically update the server, correct? The next time you try to install, do not select 'automatically update' and then run through the setup process. This should prevent setup from hanging at 14%. Once you've completed setup, you can then configure HP and Windows Update to automatically update through the console.

I hit this doing a server reinstall not to long ago and the only way to fix it was to bypass the updates until I'd finished the reinstall process. I don't think it was the connector software that was hanging but a problem on the update server.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Hello Lara,

Yes, I selected to automatically update the server. 

This morning, after 8 hours, I had a window indicating that the setup was completed successfully and after that it went to the console.  The server name changed to SERVER and everything seems ok.  I don't know how long it took to get to there, but for sure it was more than 2 hours.

Now I'm just happy that it went through, and now I'm ready to start configuring it.

Thank you,
    Patricio.
    • Marked as answer by Patricio Vidal Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:28 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:27 PM