none
70-432 - a starting point? RRS feed

• Question

• I've had no background with database's or programming in general. I know that my current working knowledge isn't enough to get me where I need to go.

I've been wanting to learn more involving database's. But I cannot seem to find a solid starting point. It seems that even with the 70-432, the audience profile is for someone who has 2-3 years experience. Knowing that I have none, what would someone recommend as foundational learning? (Note: it doesn't need to have a certification with it, my goal is to learn and have a working knowledge of SQL Server 2008) Unfortunately there aren't many classes/courses near where I live.

I intend spending the necessary money on training materials, practice exams, etc.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would still think that the 70-432 could be a nice starting point. Get the self-paced training kit and see if the chapters are enough to understand. If you do not understand something: You can always search on the web for more details or ask inside a SQL Server Forum so people point you to the correct documentation. (Or you just get another book which describes it in more detail!)

That way you can get better and better. But you need a test area to test everything properly. You can use test licenses from Microsoft so it shouldn't be a big problem to get the required software but you need some hardware that you can use for your tests. The SQL Server stuff is not easily done with just one computer! (At least that was my experience when preparing for the 70-433 exam!)

But do not concentrate on the exam - concentrate on the topics itself that you should learn and try to play around with it so you get some experience!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:10 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I would still think that the 70-432 could be a nice starting point. Get the self-paced training kit and see if the chapters are enough to understand. If you do not understand something: You can always search on the web for more details or ask inside a SQL Server Forum so people point you to the correct documentation. (Or you just get another book which describes it in more detail!)

That way you can get better and better. But you need a test area to test everything properly. You can use test licenses from Microsoft so it shouldn't be a big problem to get the required software but you need some hardware that you can use for your tests. The SQL Server stuff is not easily done with just one computer! (At least that was my experience when preparing for the 70-433 exam!)

But do not concentrate on the exam - concentrate on the topics itself that you should learn and try to play around with it so you get some experience!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Konrad gave a good starting point. You should take step-by-step and if you have a problem you can search for it on the internet or ask the guys in the appropriate forum. To get some fundamentals you should have a look at the skills measured in the MTA: Database Fundamentals. This exam is for students and academical staff, but you can follow these skills for the first steps.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you!

It's exciting to know the path to take. I always have lots of ideas of what I want to do, but never a starting point

The plan is to finish my Web Development degree which will get my feet wet with C# and Java, and hopefully around the same time I should be well versed enough to be confident in taking the exam. 

I did grab a SQL Server 2008 for Dummies, and when I get the money I'll be grabbing the self-paced training kit...

I have another question before I move on. Considering the release of SQL Server 2012, and from what I found there are not yet any upgrade paths from 2008 to 2012, would it be worth starting fresh in SQL Server 2012, or sticking with 2008?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:37 AM