Console very slow to open? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed Windows Home Server and it seems like it takes about 10 seconds for the console to open.

Of course, I've waited several minutes after the computer is booted to make sure all services are started, etc, but it doesn't help.

It's also very slow to connect/open the console using the connector software as well.

Now, I'm running WHS under Hyper-V which I know is unsupported, but seeing as how WHS is really Server 2003 I'm not sure that would be the cause of the slowness...

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Also, is 45 MB/sec transfer speed from WHS to Windows 7 good?  I'm running over a gigabit network with all SATA drives, etc.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:29 PM

All replies

• I've just installed Windows Home Server and it seems like it takes about 10 seconds for the console to open.

That's normal.

Of course, I've waited several minutes after the computer is booted to make sure all services are started, etc, but it doesn't help.

It's also very slow to connect/open the console using the connector software as well.

You don't say how long this part takes, but it's also normal (within reason of course :)  ).

Now, I'm running WHS under Hyper-V which I know is unsupported, but seeing as how WHS is really Server 2003 I'm not sure that would be the cause of the slowness...

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Also, is 45 MB/sec transfer speed from WHS to Windows 7 good?  I'm running over a gigabit network with all SATA drives, etc.
    I would say that's pretty good.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:01 AM
  • ...Also, is 45 MB/sec transfer speed from WHS to Windows 7 good?  I'm running over a gigabit network with all SATA drives, etc.
    I agree that's pretty good. I also see 45 MB/sec on my older desktop with a Pentium 4, 3 GHz processor and 7200 rpm SATA disk. On my newer laptop with a Core 2 Duo, 1.6 GHz processor and 7200 rpm SATA disk I see 60 MB/sec transfer rates across a gigabit LAN to the server.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Hmmm, perhaps 45 MB/sec really isn't that good given my setup then.

My main desktop is a C2D E8400 (overclocked to 4.2 GHz) with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7.

The WHS is an AMD Athlon X2 Regor (dual-core 3.0 GHz) with 4 GB ECC RAM.  The hard drives are all brand new SATA drives.

How can I start checking to see which link is the system is my bottleneck?

I am running WHS under Hyper-V which I'm really hoping isn't a problem...
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:20 PM

...How can I start checking to see which link is the system is my bottleneck?
    I was pretty happy to see 45 MB/sec and astounded to see 60 MB/sec. There are many factors that can affect transfer rate, including the way that you measure it. If you are transferring a lot of small files then the transfer rate will be slower due to the OS overhead of creating files. Try measuring with a very large file. I did the measurement by transferring a single 15 GB file across the network.

You could perhaps rule out the WHS and virtualization by transferring a file between two physical machines to see if your gigabit LAN will support transfers at rates above 45 MB/sec, but 45 MB/sec is pretty good IMHO.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Thanks a good idea.  I'll try transferring a file to the Hyper-V system itself and see what I get.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:06 PM

That's not bad at all!
    Check your avarage filetransfer speeds when copying a large file on you local system disk and see how fast you get...

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:05 AM