Inactive Resources RRS feed

• Question

• We have found that after an upgrade to PS 2007 SP2 some of our plans were taking a very long time to publish.  The only standout was that each of this plans had 'inactive' resoruces in them, with planned and actual hours recorded.

After removing the resources from the plans, publishing times were normal.  But, the actuals for that resource are no longer in the plan and thus cannot be reported on.

What is the best practice or method to retain those actuals for inactive resources?

The example is:  John the contractor is a resource in a plan, works, submits actuals, then leaves after the contract is over and his account is marked as inactive per company policy.  But, the PM still wants to report on the hours worked by the team.  

John F. DiFelice
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi John,

Have you also applied the latest Cumulative Update for Project Server? Have you updated both Project Server and the Microsoft Project clients?

Setting resources to inactive is probably the best way to accomplish what you need. I haven't seen the issue you are facing before.

Have you tried re-activating the resource, open the plan, save and publish the plan, close the plan, de-activate the resource again, open, save and publish the plan.

Does this make a difference?

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I am actually looking for the latest CU for the server and client now.  Can't find a single file to save and run.  Is the October CU simply a collection of individual files to be run on both the server and clients?
    John F. DiFelice
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hi John,

The October CU exists for Project, Project Server and SharePoint.

In order to apply the CU, you should install the SharePoint CU, the Project Server CU and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Wizard (the procedure is the same as for installing a Service Pack).

A CU has to be requested from the download site (you have to enter your email address and a download link will be sent to you).

All information can be found in this blog post:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/10/27/microsoft-project-server-and-sharepoint-2007-and-2010-october-cu-2010-are-live.aspx

I hope ths helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by JohnProjectPM Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:38 PM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:28 AM