Unable to remove drive from system RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have had WHS running for about 2 weeks.  I recently purchased a new internal SATA drive and am attempting to remove the previously installed USB MyBook drive from the system using the WHS Console.  When I begin, the console reports that the network is healthy.  I select the USB drive and click "Remove".  The wizard checks the system for adequate space (which is fine - both the new drive and the USB drive are 500GB each, with only 145GB stored on the USB drive) and then asks me to click another button to begin moving files off the USB drive.  As soon as I click the button to continue, I can see in the background that the Network Health icon on the console changes to "Network at Risk" while the wizard supposedly starts moving files.  After 10 to 15 minutes of moving files, the wizard dialog reports that the disk cannot be removed due to file conflicts and suggests that I try again later, offering me a "Retry" button to help.  It does not provide any information about which files are in conflict or advice on how to resolve this issue.

Oddly, as soon as I close the failed wizard dialog box, the Network Health icon reports that the network is healthy.  It is almost as if the remove disk wizard itself causes the conflict.

After 7 or 8 attempts at this over several days, I have been unable to find a permutation that will remove this USB disk (cold start, reboots, safe mode, remote desktop, directly on the server, etc).  I have run CHKDSK /R against the data volume with no errors reported.

I want this USB disk as a backup disk for another computer.  Is there another way to remove this disk from my WHS system without using the WHS console?  How can I identify which files are in conflict?

Please let me know what other information would be helpful in troubleshooting and roughly how to obtain that information and I will post as required.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Matt
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:25 AM

All replies

• matt299038829 said:

Hello,

I have had WHS running for about 2 weeks.  I recently purchased a new internal SATA drive and am attempting to remove the previously installed USB MyBook drive from the system using the WHS Console.  When I begin, the console reports that the network is healthy.  I select the USB drive and click "Remove".  The wizard checks the system for adequate space (which is fine - both the new drive and the USB drive are 500GB each, with only 145GB stored on the USB drive) and then asks me to click another button to begin moving files off the USB drive.  As soon as I click the button to continue, I can see in the background that the Network Health icon on the console changes to "Network at Risk" while the wizard supposedly starts moving files.  After 10 to 15 minutes of moving files, the wizard dialog reports that the disk cannot be removed due to file conflicts and suggests that I try again later, offering me a "Retry" button to help.  It does not provide any information about which files are in conflict or advice on how to resolve this issue.

Oddly, as soon as I close the failed wizard dialog box, the Network Health icon reports that the network is healthy.  It is almost as if the remove disk wizard itself causes the conflict.

After 7 or 8 attempts at this over several days, I have been unable to find a permutation that will remove this USB disk (cold start, reboots, safe mode, remote desktop, directly on the server, etc).  I have run CHKDSK /R against the data volume with no errors reported.

Did you try running chkdsk /r on the USB drive?  (You can find the name of that mount point by going to C:\fs.)

matt299038829 said:

I want this USB disk as a backup disk for another computer.  Is there another way to remove this disk from my WHS system without using the WHS console?

No.

matt299038829 said:

How can I identify which files are in conflict?

I would suggest trying a program written by another user (catsaver) called Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  Installing it on the server is unsupported, but other users have used it to determine broken links and it worked for them.

matt299038829 said:

Please let me know what other information would be helpful in troubleshooting and roughly how to obtain that information and I will post as required.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Matt

Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:34 AM