off topic - Upgrading from the 32-bit windows vista premium to 64-bit premium RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Can I get an upgrade to the 64 bit OS of windows without spending $129.99 because I bought my computer at best buy and their computers didn't come with a 64 bit version of windows vista premium. I shouldn't have to buy another OS all I want to do is be able to put 4 GB of DDR2 RAM into my computer and the 32 bit OS only supports 3.5 GB of ram. Is there any way I could do this without buying another version of windows and spending over a hundred dollars
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:51 AM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

However, the answer is, no. The PC you purchased came with a preinstalled OS supplied and supported by the OEM - the PC manufacturer. If they offer an x64 copy of Vista, you can obtain it from them. Otherwise, to reinstall the OS (there is no upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit) requires a new license of Vista, although you can use an upgrade version instead of a full version.

-steve

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:13 PM