WHS 2011 "You don't have permission" error RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS 2011 since it was released to technet.  Recently, from my windows 7 desktop system I've begun to have strange problem where my desktop system sometimes tells me that I don't have permission to access my folders on the server.

This sometimes happens immediately upon startup, other times it happens where I have access to the folders initially after re-boot of the windows 7 system, but then after I've been using the system for a while the access is gone.

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem and do you have any suggestions on how to fix or troubleshoot it?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.  Happy 4th of July to everyone!
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:15 PM

Answers

• Have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed from the server desktop? Made any configuration changes outside of the server dashboard?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Ken, thank you for the reminder to me!  I need to stick to the dashboard.  I was having connect problems to the server and ran in to this thread.

I made the server part of my local "homegroup", and that really messed up access from the clients.  I removed the Server from the homegroup and all returned to normal.

@MyCroWave, did you make the server part of the homegroup?

Thanks folks,

• Marked as answer by MyCroWave Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• If you are using a wifi connection either on the server or client

a temporary dropout from the router could be the problem. Try

a wired connection to the router when possible. 

Monday, July 4, 2011 1:55 PM
  • No wifi, connection is hard-wired 1GBps.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed from the server desktop? Made any configuration changes outside of the server dashboard?
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Your "user accounts" have been created on Dashboard, correct? Have you ever created an account from the server desktop?

--
    Don
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:44 PM
  • I have a similar symptom, My wife and I share a PC and w're both logged in to the machine at all times. She has noticed that occationally, when she has to re-login (after a Windows Update reboot), she is informed that I am already logged in. I have noticed that I get the "You don't have permssion" even though I had that a couple of hours prior.

I have my suspect that multiple users logged in to the same PC may have something to do with the issue?

PS: My PC connection is 1Gbps wired connection.

Bjarne

Bjarne
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:42 PM

No add-ins at all.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:10 AM
  • No, I'm pretty sure that I created them from the server when I first built it. 

If this is the cause of the problem, why is it showing up now after a couple of months?  Also, what do I need to do to fix it?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:12 AM
  • There is only1 user account on this PC.  My wife and I share the account.  Also, the problem happens even if I don't transition through a logon...This morning, for example, I powered on the system and logged in. I was able to access my folders on the server at that time.  I then played Halo (the first version) on the PC for a little while, when I was done, I could no longer access my server directory.  I did not need to re-logon.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Correction:

I have Boinc installaed, but I have had this on the server since I built it, so I don't think that it is related to this.

I installed the DynDNS client on the server recently.  Hmm, and it seems like the problem might have started happening around then.  I will Uninstall DynDNS now to see if that fixes the problem.

I hate testing for negatives. I'll give it a couple of days after uninstalling it to determine if that fixes it.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Have you uninstalled DynDNS client on the server, are you still having the same issue?

--
    Don
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:18 PM

Ken, thank you for the reminder to me!  I need to stick to the dashboard.  I was having connect problems to the server and ran in to this thread.

I made the server part of my local "homegroup", and that really messed up access from the clients.  I removed the Server from the homegroup and all returned to normal.

Thanks folks,

• Marked as answer by MyCroWave Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:30 PM

Thanks folks,

Yes, homegroup security overrides NT security. This was intentional on Microsoft's part, I'm sure.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Yes I uninstalled it and did not experience the problem this morning when I was using the computer.  It is still too early to tell though.  I will update the group in a few days or if the problem occurs again.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:49 AM
  • The server does and has been participating in the homegroup for a while.  I'm going to make one change at a time.  If the DynDNS client removal doesn' fix the problem, I will try the homegroup next.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:52 AM
  • All user accounts were created using the dashboard.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:53 AM
  • OK, so I think that danieldjb might have nailed it.  I continued to  have the problem after removing the DynDNS client, so that is not the cause of the problem.

I have taken the suggestion from danieldjb and removed the server from the homegroup and so far so good.  I'm going to give it a few more days before declaring victory, but this looks promising.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:02 PM
  • The problem was fixed when I removed the server from the home group. 

Thanks for all of the help.

• Proposed as answer by Stephen Land Monday, March 5, 2012 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:21 AM