Restore from Backup Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a good backup of my Vista machine before a crash. My centralized backup is another internal hard drive connected to this computer. I have replaced my hard drive, reloaded the OS and Windows Live Onecare, and then have attempted to 'Restore' the last good backup of my machine prior to the crash. The issue I am having is is that the backup is not recognized by Live Onecare.

Is there some kind of work around to this issue?
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:19 PM

Answers

• Jim,

About 5 min's after posting my follow-up the churning stopped and I was given the option of what files to restore. So, everything worked. However, I am not so pleased with Live Onecare, at least for their backup application. It takes way too long and there were definitely some quirky things going on. I like Live Onecare for protecting my machine from attacks, etc., but I'm going to find another alternative to backups. It is not really very user friendly in this regard.

Thanks so much for your quick responses. Have a happy and safe Independence Day!

-Gary
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• If you haven't already done so, configure One Care backup to use the same destination originally used for backup then perform a backup. After backup completes start the One Care backup wizard, select restore files from another computer and you should be able to select your original One Care backups and restore them.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Jim,

I've taken these steps and Live Onecare does "see" the backup of my old machine. I am currently in the window "Select the backup you want to use to restore your files" and I have selected the backup set from my old machine (prior to crash). However, when I selected that back and hit 'Next', it has been sitting there spinning for over 10 minutes now. Granted, the size of the backup folder for that machine is around 80 GB's but, should it be sitting this long looking at that backup set?

Do you know if this is normal and I just need to be patient or, is there a possible problem?

-Gary
    Friday, July 3, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Since you have already done what I think would enable you to restore your files and it is not working I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Gary, I have given this some more thought and I think it could be a permissions issue. Before contacting support navigate to your old One Care backups using Windows Explorer and take ownership of the backups, then try restoring the files again.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Jim,

About 5 min's after posting my follow-up the churning stopped and I was given the option of what files to restore. So, everything worked. However, I am not so pleased with Live Onecare, at least for their backup application. It takes way too long and there were definitely some quirky things going on. I like Live Onecare for protecting my machine from attacks, etc., but I'm going to find another alternative to backups. It is not really very user friendly in this regard.

Thanks so much for your quick responses. Have a happy and safe Independence Day!

-Gary
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:27 PM
  • I'm glad you were able to restore your files Gary. Finding an alternative to One Care backup is a good idea since after One Care is gone you'll need another backup solution anyway. I've used Acronis True Image for years and have been very satisfied with it. Acronis - http://www.acronis.com/
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:23 PM