WiFi security RRS feed

• Question

• In the Live  One  Care beta mailer of  18 August there was a description of net work wi fi security in which it said  liveone care whcih said the router should be set so that wireless security is not enabled. I followed the instructions-I think correctly, but did not get the white action sign for the security wizard. All comuters on my network have the green OK sign so maybe they are all protcted OK but  my router is still unsecured-so anyone can piggy-back on the signal? Is liveone care wifi security supposed to offer help aganst this in anyway?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are a limited number of routers supported. See this post and the other FAQ post below it for information - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1931366&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:11 AM
  • I have a linksys WRT150N which is on the list of supported routers

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Well, then that certainly invalidates my answer.

If your router security for WiFi is turned off now, then OneCare should be giving you the prompt to take action. If you disabled security, so it is now unsecured, and saved the router settings, when you open your wireless settings on the PC does it identify your connection as being to an unsecured connection?

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Remember the checklist of items that must be true for WiFi Security to work at present:

Pre-qualifications

What does it take to have this feature enabled on your computer? Here's the list!

• Router model and firmware must be supported (See SupportedRouterList for details)
    • Router must not have wireless security enabled (i.e. WEP, WPA, etc.)
    • Network must be classified as "Home or work" (i.e. not "Public")
    • Router must still be set with factory login credentials
    • 3rd party software which disables the Windows WZC service cannot be installed

http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/OneCare.WiFiSecurity

In most cases the issue is likely to be that the factory default login (usually Admin with a simple or no password) has been changed by the user. Of course, any of these are potential issues.

OneCareBear

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:25 PM
    • Steve

I went back to the start to check that I was following the checklist I have a desktop connected to the router by cable, a desktop connected to the router by wireless, but linksys controlled, not windows and and at anytime upto 3 laptops connecting to the home network of which two at home at the moment. Not sure what I did wrong the first time but on a laptop I did get the message alerting me to being on an unsecured network. I follwed the instructions to secure it and connected the laptop to the router by cable as required and Onecare set up the security. I copied the settings to a flash drive and automatically setup one laptop and manually set up the security on the second desktop using linksys wirelss which worked ok -everything fine up to this point.

now the bad news:

1) My desktop is still connected the internet but is no longer on the new onecare network and as there is no wireless adpater the flash drive setup doent work and I cannot see how to get it to join the new network,

32 Wierd, the laptop on which i setup the network isnt recosgnised by the network on the cable connection and trying to set it up again using the flash drive doesnt work. so far I have been unable to connect it manually. if liveonecare sets up a wep128 encryption what should I choose from the xp wireless menu, wpa orwpa-psk. neither seem to work for me

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:11 AM
    • If OneCare set it up as WEP 128, then do do the same manually, you would need to set it up with WEP 128. WPA is a completely different security method, actually better than WEP, but if the network is set for WEP by the OneCare wizard, you'll want to match it on the PC that you are configuring manually.

Now, in your point 1) above, you state that this PC is connected via a wire and not wireless. This means that the secure WiFi and all settings regarding WiFi/wireless do not apply - it is a wired connection. If it connects to the Internet, what do you mean by "new network?"

That then brings point 2) - what do you mean by "isn't recognized by the network on the cable connection?"

-steve

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:31 PM
    • 1) My desktop is conected to the router by cable. previously I could access all computers on my home network from the dsktop but now these are not identified on the network connections although all are shown as linked on the onecare circle. It is not a big issue for me  and maybe I can resolve it be spending more time playing around with my network settings.

2) I set up the new liveone care security settings on  a laptop but after doing this this laptop cannot access the wireless network and I am unable to configure it manually- becasue the xp windows wireless settings done allow for WEP 128? The network setup on the flash drive which I used to successfully configure other computers doesnt work on the laptop on which it was set-up.

3) if no other ideas I shall clear all the settings again from the router and repeat the procdures, maybe using a different laptop to configure the security settings.

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:31 PM
    • On number one, that seems odd. It would seem to me that it sounds like a Sharing issue. Check the firewall settings to make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

For number 2 and 3 - I think it sounds like you may want to start over from the laptop that doesn't do 128 bit WEP and make the disk to configure the other PCs.

Do keep us posted. Perhaps Neeraj of one of the other OneCare developers will step in with more advice. My router is not a supported device for this process, so I can't verify the steps to perform.

-steve

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:50 AM
    • I started again

1) of the four computers linked by wireless on my home network, two did not register the lack of a secure wireless -which  probably expalins my original query as these were the two I was checking.

2) I used the Onecare prompt for turning on wireless security-using a different laptop from before.

3) At one stage in the process, after first contacting the router over the ethernet cable there is a message on the computer saying unable to find preferred wirelss network. I didnt try last time round but I could find and manually connect with a newly established one-care network-but this is unsecured.

4) the onecare programme shows a network key is established but when i saved the setings this showed no key and when i tried to install from the flash drive I established the one care network-but all unsecured.

5) I tried this three times, the second repeating the frst time-with same result, and thirdly not loctaing the onecare wirless and proceeding on as prompted. this at least did generate a tex message wirh the security key but the flash drive startup generated only set up unsecured networks.

6) I checked my router and this showed security non enabled-so I could manually add the securty key but i might as well do everything from the router and have a stonger encryption.

7) I am probably screwing-up somehwere along the way but I have given up using the one care wi-fi security and reverted to setting it up thugh my router.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:56 PM
    • Peter, thanks so much for continuing to plug away at this. I suspect that the problem may not be anything you are doing, but perhaps the way OneCare is interacting with your router. I think it would be a good idea to file a bug report on Connect for this -

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See this page - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for the bug submission guide.

Once you've filed the bug, go ahead and configure your wireless security manually.

-steve

Sunday, August 26, 2007 2:08 AM
    • One question about the set-up procedure. After connecting the ethernet cable to the router there is a connection and then I am prompted again to connect to the router. Should I continue this by ethernet cable or try to connect via the newly established one-care wireles network?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:18 AM
    • Hi Peter,

I am a program manager working on the WiFi feature.

To your question, you need to keep the cable plugged in until the end of the flow, if you start off via wireless and connect the cable later the profile for your wireless adapter will be auto created when done.

Also, I would like to confirm the issue you were seeing, can you confirm the wizard provided you with a network name and network key but the router's web interface was showing it is not secure?

Can you try it again and see if this reproduces? 

What is the exact firmware of your router? (you can find it on the routers web interface)

Thanks,

Oded

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:56 AM