$19.95 Beta Test Offer RRS feed

• Question

• I think it really sucks that I can't take advantage of the $19.95 year offer as a beta test because I have a $49.95 subscription. It is totally crazy to have to cancel my subscription and get a new OneCare ID and Live ID.( make that NOCARE by the way  you (Microsoft) treats your loyal subscribers that help test your software) ). I have gone round and round in support for a billing problem and help says it doesn't recognize my subscription.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it time to switch to MAC......

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:51 AM

Answers

• You can probably find a better deal at retail anyway, but I agree that it would be nice to have had an offer for a renewal code at a reduced rate. If you locate a retail deal, simply go to http://billing.microsoft.com , log in with your subscription LiveID and select renew. Select the option to renew with a token - this is the product key and this process can be done at any time before expiration to extend the subscription for 12 months.

What is the billing problem you are having?

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:49 AM

All replies

• You can probably find a better deal at retail anyway, but I agree that it would be nice to have had an offer for a renewal code at a reduced rate. If you locate a retail deal, simply go to http://billing.microsoft.com , log in with your subscription LiveID and select renew. Select the option to renew with a token - this is the product key and this process can be done at any time before expiration to extend the subscription for 12 months.

What is the billing problem you are having?

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:49 AM
  • In the UK, the Beta test offer was for £14.99.

I tried to activate it when I received mail from Microsoft, and voila - error 3010 - which means "you are existing customer, so you can go & fly a kite". The full subscription price is however available -- for £37.99. that's like 2.5 times from £15.

I think this is huge disrespect to "dog food eaters": you have invested your time and effort, and then "you're welcome to buy at just £38 like bleeding Joe Blow". The insult is even bigger because the cheerful message with special offer was sent out -- it's like tease and drop.

Of course I can just get myself a new LiveID - but this is untidy - why can't I just properly enjoy the special offer?

And no, I can NOT find any good deals at "retail", not in the UK -- most of them are above £33. Still above twice the special offer.

It's not that I can't pay £38, but the lack of respect to LOYAL beta testers is appalling.

Shame!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:03 PM
  • Steve,

This is my retail. You see when you are disabled and can't get around very much this is retail. I don't think Microsoft would want there customers going to retail to renew every year if there is a better deal. You would think they would give preference to loyal customers, you would think.....

If I bought another token I have to change Live ID/ passwords . And they wonder why they are loosing ground to APPLE.

As for the billing problem I have two.

1. The $49.95 vs the $19.95 screw job and I want my money back so I can buy tiger and Apple support .

2. I can't even get to billing support to complain and have filed a technical support problem report. I try to get to help and it sends me to 6 different screens saying it doesn't recognize my subscription and then to really piss you off when I click help on the last support screen it sends me to MSN network............ This has to be the lousest service I have ever seen out of Microsoft and I guess they have gotten so big and arrogant they don't care about customers anymore.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:02 PM
  •  EastExpert wrote:

And no, I can NOT find any good deals at "retail", not in the UK -- most of them are above £33. Still above twice the special offer.

It's not that I can't pay £38, but the lack of respect to LOYAL beta testers is appalling.

Shame!

Thanks for your comments. I agree that there *should* be a deal for beta testers to extend their subscriptions, but then I'm a customer like you and not part of the marketing group that handles OneCare. I would suspect that the developers would agree with me, too.

I'm not sure that I'd call it "appalling," but I would certainly say it is unfortunate.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:38 PM
  •  bigmacado wrote:

Steve,

This is my retail. You see when you are disabled and can't get around very much this is retail. I don't think Microsoft would want there customers going to retail to renew every year if there is a better deal. You would think they would give preference to loyal customers, you would think.....

If I bought another token I have to change Live ID/ passwords . And they wonder why they are loosing ground to APPLE.

As for the billing problem I have two.

1. The $49.95 vs the $19.95 screw job and I want my money back so I can buy tiger and Apple support .

2. I can't even get to billing support to complain and have filed a technical support problem report. I try to get to help and it sends me to 6 different screens saying it doesn't recognize my subscription and then to really piss you off when I click help on the last support screen it sends me to MSN network............ This has to be the lousest service I have ever seen out of Microsoft and I guess they have gotten so big and arrogant they don't care about customers anymore.

As I said before I wish that there was an offer to extend a subscription, but there isn't, unfortunately.

I made the suggestion for retail as it can be found for a decent price quite regularly. There are a number of sellers via the Amazon site that offer it at a substantial discount. The retail key from any new retail package should still work fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000KN7DDE/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196181811&sr=8-1

If you want the 2.0 retail box and happen to have a qualifying retail competitive product with proof of ownership (pre-installed and OEM version don't qualify) you can actually get OneCare 2.0 for free after rebates - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-C7S-00135-Windows-Live-OneCare/dp/rebates/B000V6YPAY/ref=rebate_olp_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As for your billing problems above, if you want a refund for a purchase made online from Microsoft, you need to work through OneCare support as you have already done. If your subscription is not recognized when you sign in to activate or to view your subscription status at http://billing.microsoft.com, then you are probably signing in with an incorrect LiveID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:55 PM
  •  

where can I get the entire product key.

so I can reinstall the beta version..

I have lost the email or whatever I had with the original product key.

I tried to activate the 90 day version with my live id but that did not work.

I would like to evaluate this a while longer as I just found a few more problems with a chinese software installation

of a usb tv box before purchasing the 19.95 model.

it seems that one care still isnt taking control of security and is allowing 3rd party software installations to dissable

the one care firewall.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Get it at Staples and it's costs (-$.05) after $20.00 rebate for buying it and $20.00 for either competitive product OR ANY tax program.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&productId=199771

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  one_care_beta_tester wrote:

where can I get the entire product key.

so I can reinstall the beta version..

I have lost the email or whatever I had with the original product key.

I tried to activate the 90 day version with my live id but that did not work.

I would like to evaluate this a while longer as I just found a few more problems with a chinese software installation

of a usb tv box before purchasing the 19.95 model.

it seems that one care still isnt taking control of security and is allowing 3rd party software installations to dissable

the one care firewall.

The beta is no longer available. You can use the trial for 90 days.

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks much for the info. and support.

I was able to get to billing the alt way you suggested . Ttech support is working the technical issue with billing on a call report.

They also told me the following in their note:

"In addition, it seems that you want to purchase OneCare again with the $19.95 OneCare offer for Beta testers. However, you're not sure if we can do that, Ronald, please be assured that although you have already purchased OneCare for $49.95, we can still use the Special Offer Link to subscribe to OneCare again."

I will let you know what the end result is as soon as I finish working with them. It may be a day or two as I am alittle sick right now.

Thanks

Ron

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Steve,

Latest update on issue.

Microsoft Support Incident: SRX1050906770

Simon,
    What is going on here? I have not heard back from you on my problem and now I get this e-mail..  Now Microsoft is trying and change the e-mail offer to say new subscribers only........  Apple, Mr Clark Howard on national radio in USA  and Channel 6 "On Your Side" in Orlando ,Florida  will have a field day with this generating more bad press for Microsoft. First you ask us to be testers, then you say for your efforts you can get one year subscription for $19.95 how can you now change the letter on the third distribution.. Why should I not cancel,get a refund and go to Apple MAC.
    This is really unreal and someone at MS should be fired for this. I could cancel my subscription and go to retail fro .05 cents at Staples or $19.95 as a new subscriber with a new ID. Being loyal to MS I just wanted to resubscribe using my same login.
    Let me know what to do next or weather I should just give up.

Thanks for your support and efforts.
    Ron
    ----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 6:15 PM
    Subject: OneCare Introductory Offer Expires Soon

This is the last reminder to our valued Windows Live OneCare beta users that your special introductory pricing will expire on Monday, December 10th, 2007.

Expiring Soon! Special, Limited Time Introductory Offer for Beta Users*

This limited time offer gives you the fully released Windows Live OneCare subscription service at $19.95 for a year, for up to 3 Windows XP or Windows Vista-based PCs -- over 60% off the full subscription price!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:47 AM
  • This is not the answer..............

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:50 AM
  • I'm sorry, first of all, that support led you to believe that you could extend your subscription with the beta offer. As noted originally, the offer was for a new subscription only. Secondly, I'm sorry that support didn't get back to you. Thanks for including the case ID, I'll pass that on.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Steve,

I'm sorry but the original offer was not for new subscribers only and they knew I was a member when they sent me the letter.. I guess just for beta users like you means nothing to MS. 

Are you an employee, contractor, or consultant for MicroSoft?

Do you think it is right that I can go buy a new subscription at a store but can't take advantage and am being discriminated against because I was already a subscriber of ONECARE. Is it right to have to unscribe and then resubscribe under a different ID  like my hotmail account to take advantage of the $19.95 offer?

Thanks

Ron

Thank you for participating in the Windows Live OneCare (v2.0) Beta! Your feedback, comments, and bugs(!) have helped us improve the service and we are now in the final steps of releasing OneCare to consumers world-wide.

Beta to Close at End of December 2007

We wanted to give you an advance notice that the (v2.0) beta will be closing at the end of February. Depending on when you installed the beta, your OneCare beta service will expire by December of 2007, after which you will not be receiving any more virus or updates to your OneCare service. Before your OneCare service expires, we strongly urge you to un-install the service and re-install the fully-released service so that you can continue your protection and maintenance services. We have made it easy to get the fully-release service at a great discount, so see below for the special offer details:

Special, Limited Time Introductory Offer for Beta Users

To thank you for your participation, we’re extending a special introductory offer just to beta users like you. This limited time offer gives you the fully released Windows Live OneCare subscription service and at $19.95 for a year, for up to 3 Windows XP or Windows Vista-based PCs -- over 60% off the full subscription price! This offer will expire on December 10th, 2007, so be sure to take advantage of it soon!

To take advantage of this offer:

1. Uninstall Windows Live OneCare beta (by using the standard Add / Remove Programs in your PC’s Control Panel)
    2. Click on this.....removed link.... and follow the instructions to redeem your offer and install the fully release version of the service. You must use the link in this email in order to be eligible for this special introductory pricing.

Thanks again for all your support,
    Windows Live OneCare Beta Team

P.S. If you’ve previously purchased a year’s subscription to OneCare, you can simply re-install the fully released version of the service by visiting http://onecare.live.com/members.

You’ve received this email because you joined the Windows Live OneCare beta program. If you would like to be removed from the beta please send an email to ocoptout@microsoft.com with the words Opt-Out in the Subject line. We value your privacy. Please read the Privacy Statement for complete information.

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 © 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:59 AM
  • I've removed the link once again.

I know you're unhappy about the offer and I agree that an offer for existing subscribers would have been appropriate, but it has always been for a new subscription, although the email is not worded well to indicate that, I agree.

"You must use the link in this email in order to be eligible for this special introductory pricing."

and

P.S. If you’ve previously purchased a year’s subscription to OneCare, you can simply re-install the fully released version of the service by visiting http://onecare.live.com/members.

Both of those bits from the original email do indicate it is for new subscribers only and is not meant for renewals.

I don't work for Microsoft, but along with the other moderators volunteer my time here in the forums and with beta testing OneCare.

When you get a chance, please email me at sboots@mvps.org  and include "OneCare" in the subject line a link to this thread in the message body.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Bill_G

I wish I would have not closed my mail account that this thread is attached to , I missed your reply.

sorry !!!

I have purchased the 19.95 subscription through MS and I cant seem to get it registered...

It may be that I have fiddled around with my user permissions too much to try and aquire security on my box.

I uninstalled one care...ran the clean up tool...re-installed one care...and I always get a wide open box durring a restart.

and the gui is always in a non responsive mode when I try to use the gui...

I did ( if your interested ) get a fully functional gui ( ONCE ) by setting the winss.exe process priority to realtime

then killing the winssui.exe process and restarting the winss.exe process or service ... this worked temporarily.

the lower left hand side said my subscription would expire on dec-01-2008.

the message box that asks you to pick home or public place poped up , I clicked on my choice and for a few hours

all I had was a one care title bar and a blank ui with nothing in it...

looks like I got through that screen and today I have a screen that states

con

nec

to

your

with a renew button beside it...

of course it too is non-responsive and cannot be clicked on.

Its only going to be a matter of time until I re-install XPME sp2 to see if that might help.

I've tried to find this problem and have been sending error reports frequently.

but so far its a no go in my opinion.

that at&t security suite either is not all gone or the little time that my box was exposed while trying to perform a

backup did me in.

I hate to re-install the os but you just got to do what you got to do sometimes.

if the re-install works then I will still be wide open durring re-install of one care...

where is the link to download the full version of one care so that one care will be running ((( WHEN )))

I connect to the hackernet.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:32 PM
  •  one_care_beta_tester wrote:

I hate to re-install the os but you just got to do what you got to do sometimes.

if the re-install works then I will still be wide open durring re-install of one care...

where is the link to download the full version of one care so that one care will be running ((( WHEN )))

I connect to the hackernet.

Sorry for all the troubles you've encountered. You can download the full version from http://onecare.live.com and activate with your subscription LiveID that you purchased the 19.95 offer with. Until you are up and running after the OS reinstall, the Windows Firewall is protecting your PC - just don't surf the web or open other files and emails from unknown sources before OneCare is installed.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:37 AM