Hard Drive Configurations Local vs WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Bit a of a newbie to WHS and expect delivery of HP EX475 this week. Have read as much as I can regarding configurations and would like advice from existing users. Excuse if the questions below is obvious to the experienced on this forum.

I have Home Vista PC with 2 x 500Gb internal drives ( OS + data) plus a number of external USB  drives (total 1.25Tb) containing additional media, backups of internal drives and images. I also have 2 laptops for work which are not backed up at home (but at work). My Data is mostly music, videos, movies etc

As my new WHS comes with 2 x 500Gb internal drives my question is :

Do I purchase additional drives to the WHS to ensure ALL my data is backed up or do I move the USB drives to the WHS?

What do I do with the existing data on the USB drives if I want to add them to the "pool"?

Maybe be daft questions but just trying to get an idea of the best configuration for my needs before I set up my WHS

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:18 PM

All replies

• If you decide to add your USB drives to your WHS you’ll have two options... add them to the pool or not.

Do note though that if you use the Home Server Console to add them to the storage pool, anything on them will be wiped out... so first you'd need to connect the drive(s), log in to the machine with RDP and move the files from the USB drive to a server share and then add the drive to the pool.

As for if you should just dump the data from your external drives onto your WHS and add the USB drives to the pool... that depends. Will you have enough storage space for it all? One of the best things (IMO) about the storage options you’ve got with WHS is that files can be duplicated across multiple disks... provided you’ve got enough disk space for them all.

My vote would actually be to do a hybrid... add another disk or two to your MediaSmart internally… move your data over to it from your external USB drives... and then keep one or two handy for server wide backups using Power Pack 1.

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions Brendan, very helpful.

If I retain a USB drive on the local PC will this be backed up automatically to the WHS? If yes what happens when the USB drive is switched off ie does the WHS remove the backup?

Also can I add a USB drive to the WHS that is not part of the storage pool?

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:48 PM