When re-installing WHS can F6 be used to add network driver? RRS feed

• Question

• I know F6 is normally used to add SATA/IDE drivers, but can I add my network drivers at this stage to be sure WHS can use the network when re-installing WHS? (It doesn't natively have the drivers for RTL8112L integrated network).

Thank you.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:11 PM

Answers

• OK, the reason I asked was because I read on this forum that the network needs to be available (ie card drivers installed), when re-installing WHS, or it won't find the old shares. I'm replacing the system drive soon and wanted to be sure it goes smoothly.

Maybe I misunderstood?
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:29 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:31 PM
  • OK, the reason I asked was because I read on this forum that the network needs to be available (ie card drivers installed), when re-installing WHS, or it won't find the old shares. I'm replacing the system drive soon and wanted to be sure it goes smoothly.

Maybe I misunderstood?
    I've tried several Server Reinstallations in a test environment and never had that problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Ezhiki Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:28 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:27 PM

All replies

• I know F6 is normally used to add SATA/IDE drivers, but can I add my network drivers at this stage to be sure WHS can use the network when re-installing WHS? (It doesn't natively have the drivers for RTL8112L integrated network).

Thank you.
    I've never actually tried it.  However, it's not necessary since you can just install the drivers after the OS install complete.  The whole point of F6 is for the OS to see the hard drives (without which you can't install the OS obviously).
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:53 AM

Maybe I misunderstood?
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:29 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:31 PM

Maybe I misunderstood?
    I've tried several Server Reinstallations in a test environment and never had that problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Ezhiki Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:28 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:27 PM