• Question

• AMD 2800XP

GIGABYTE GA-7N400 PRO2

2 x SATA, 3 x IDE, 6 x USB (4 Rear, 2 Front), 1 x Firewire

1GB DDR 400 (2 X 512MB)

256MB MB Radeon 9600 

80GB Seagate SATA

LiteOn DVD Burner

250MB Internal ZIP Drive (Left over from the old computer)

1.4 Floppy

onboard Ethernet, Sound

(It has been suggested that I change the 80GB for a 320GB or 500 GB Hard Drive, just waiting on she who hold the cheque book)

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

• the suggestion is sound. Using an 80GB drive as your system drive, will seriously limit any file transfers. Microsoft recommend that at the time of building, you use your largest available drive as your system drive. Yours will limit the file sizes to less than 60Gb a time.

Also, as you have both IDE and SATA, watch which connection you use. In general, WHS will grab the first available drive it sees, to use as C:/D:. What that means, is if you then add more drives later, your 'new' drive could well now be seen as the boot drive by the BIOS, so WHS wouldn't boot.

Colin

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up Colin, I am still having trouble installing WHS on the 80GB drive anyway with a 'Creating Volume failed: Element not found (error code 0x80070490)' I have not yet sorted the issue, but I am considering taking out 1 of my 200GB IDE drives from a portable USB enclosure and utilising it instead.

Regards

Peter

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:22 PM