none
How to get data off WHS drives when server hardware fails? RRS feed

• Question

• I have/had an HP MediaSmart ex485 Windows Home Server with 1+3 SATA drives installed. Unfortunately, the server hardware failed (PSU and sata board it seems) and the unit is off warranty. I will not be replacing this server. However, I need to access the data that is stored on the WHS drives. Any ideas? Suggestions? (e.g., Can I remove the HDD and install in another computer or is the install/config hardware-specific?) Thanks for any assistance that can be offered. -- Glen
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• Yes, connect each of the drives to another PC (using an external adapter is the easiest) and all your data should be available on the disks. How many you need to look at depends on whether/ which folders were duplicated.
    • Proposed as answer by HydroSam Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:23 PM
  • From
    Olaf Engelke's FAQ located at:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f#cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Pick up at this step:

...copy the data manually to a new location.

To do this:

a.. Attach the disks one by one to a Windows PC either via internal ports or using an adapter cable USB to SATA/IDE. This PC can be one of the clients, or a fresh installed Windows Home Server. Do not add this disk to the storage pool, before you have copied all data to the server share or external storage. The already configured storage pool devices must offer enough free space to handle the data from the disk besides old client backups (which will be lost in such a recovery scenario).
      b.. In Control Panel of that PC open Folder Options.
      c.. On the View tab select Show hidden files and folders.
      d.. Click OK.
      e.. In Windows Explorer look for the DATA volume on the former Windows Home Server disk (including the D: drive of the former primary disk), which will usually have gotten a drive letter in the system. After opening this volume in Explorer you should see the hidden folder DE. (Be aware, that in configurations with multiple disks in the server this folder may not exist on each disk or be empty.)
      f.. Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares.
      g.. This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
      h.. Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
      i.. Repeat this for each DATA disk.
    Do not forget to check the consistency of data (can files still be opened, are they the most current version) before reusing the disks in the storage pool.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have/had an HP MediaSmart ex485 Windows Home Server with 1+3 SATA drives installed. Unfortunately, the server hardware failed (PSU and sata board it seems) and the unit is off warranty. I will not be replacing this server. However, I need to access the data that is stored on the WHS drives. Any ideas? Suggestions? (e.g., Can I remove the HDD and install in another computer or is the install/config hardware-specific?) Thanks for any assistance that can be offered. -- Glen

BullDawg
    • Proposed as answer by HydroSam Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:47 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:39 AM